stephisme
Newly Registered

Sage plant turning black

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post about this because although it's an herb its in a terrarium.

Last night I made a terrarium as a gift, using herbs as the plants. I am not sure what the plant is but after googling it I believe it's sage. This morning when I went to check on it I noticed the leaves turning black... almost every leaf! I am not sure what happened but all I could think of is perhaps I sprayed it with too much water.

I made two terrariums and the one that the leaves are turning black in gets no air (it has a solid lid). The other one I made the lid has ventilation and the plant is doing fine in that one, and I sprayed that one just as much.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips for me. I took the lid off it hoping that would help. I read online that leaves that get black spots all fall off... is there any possibility this won't happen since the spots are small?

Thank's in advance and sorry if this is in the wrong place.

applestar
Mod

It's a cute idea but I can't think of ...well any... culinary herbs that would be suited to terrarium culture.... Most herbs prefer full sun and many are better grown in leaner, well-drained soil (I.e. in containers with drainage holes) so they will have stronger flavor. They also grow quite big.

(OK just one -- there are some miniature mint varieties -- I think one is Corsican mint and another is a Japanese variety but I can't think of the name....)

Terrarium plants should be slow growing and shouldn't grow much bigger than the container at maturity, or it will require endless chore of pruning and picking out the pruned pieces because you don't want any debris to mold/rot in the damp terrarium conditions.

Terrariums, even open ones can't really be placed in full sun. Sealed ones shouldn't get any direct sun at all.

What herbs did you use? Maybe we can advise on size of containers and type of soil, which ones can be grouped together in same container and which ones need container of its own.

stephisme
Newly Registered

Thank's for the replys.

The sites I went on said herbs are good for terrariums because they are hardy... I guess that's not so lol.

Well, I took the cover off it and the black spots are now less and lighter... so I hope thats a good sign. I think I probably watered it too much.

The other herbs I have it in is irish moss (it says it's a herb but is it?) and bugleweed. Parts of the bugleweed is very dark and was when I purchased it... I am not sure if that means it's dead or if that's normal because it's still very sturdy.

If anyone has recommendations for what I have now or recommendations for other plants I can use in it I would great appreciate it. The problem was I couldn't really find any nurseries near me with plants I thought would be okay.. names would be great.

Thank's so much for all the replies!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”