estorms

I love all kinds of mint. I plant them on the porch near the door so I can run my hands through them when I am coming and going. The nice scent wafts up and is very nice whenever I go by. There is always plenty for drinks and to put in my vacum cleaner

imafan26
Mod

I never thought of mint in vacuum cleaner before. I have used mint in Thai recipes in place of basil. It tastes different but it does work.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Your nana is growing well and is reaching out to find fresh soil. If you put a box or pot of moist earth under the reaching arms they will take root. You can also seperate or cut and transplant as described in other posts. enjoy it, looks like it is happy with you.

Armenians love it!

aaradyn

I'm hoping my two new little mint plants get as big as yours!! I had one before, potted and in my kitchen window, but it didn't survive the move... I did have lovely dried mint though after the move though. Starting again, this time outside where it can really grow. :)

(and thanks to the other posters about dividing mint plants - I'm hoping I need that advice in the coming months!)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

As several other posters have said mint in the garden is a nightmare. Almost impossible to get rid of. I like growing mint in hanging baskets - 12". I hang them on the edge of the patio cover. Nice plants and easy to access for harvesting. You little pot is definately over crowded. If you want to start new plants just put your cuttings in soil and keep moist - not soggy. I am not a fan of starting in water.

Have you tried chocolate mint? Yummy!

aaradyn

I have a chocolate mint this year- it's great!!!

MasonSebastian

I bought this mint plant in a seedling bank sometime in march. pinched of a couple of buds on top and it grew more leaves in a couple of days. watered them everyday because our temps now at 36-37 celsius. I decided to put 14-14-14 fertilizer in the morning. when I came back at night, the plant withered. did the fertilizer kill the weed, or I just over watered?

estorms

If you have had it since March and it died the day after you fertilized it, that probably had something to do with it although it sounds like you over watered it too. You don't need to fertilize mint.

mattie g
Green Thumb

estorms wrote:If you have had it since March and it died the day after you fertilized it, that probably had something to do with it although it sounds like you over watered it too. You don't need to fertilize mint.
Too true. We've had a mint plant in a pot for about six or seven years, and we've never done anything to it. It sits outside all year long on the shady side of the house, and we never water or fertilize it. And each spring it sprouts like new.

Pretty amazing, actually!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”