Spotted
Cool Member

rooting basil spearmint and catnip

Once again I have to say how much I love the farmers market. Last week I purchased a basil that was already potted for just a couple bucks. My mom expressed interest in some basil of her own so I have three cuttinreerooting in water for her. There were several sites that seemed to be successful with that method so it looks like we will have three more basil plants by next week and my mother plant is already bushing out where the cuttings were taken.

Yesterday, I was able to purchase bundles of fresh cuttings of spearmint and catnip for a quarter. the person whom sold it to me had said that she had propagated cuttings of these herbs in water however doing some of my own research tells me that it might be better to root them in soil. This makes more sence with the catnip because of its velvety texture.

I had already places them in water. I am wondering two things. One is if I could shock them by putting them in soil? The second question is, I noticed flower buds on the catnip. Should I remove them from the cuttings?

Spotted
Cool Member

Saturday, I was able to add purple basil to the list of herbs that I am currently trying to root. I'm fairly confident that that one will have no problem even though when I had finally gotten it home, I had thought that it was dead. My friend had took the cutting for me in the early morning, then set it aside till my son and I stopped by at 4pm. I thought the worst for the cutting but put it in a plastic bag that I blew some air into and tied a knot. My son and I weren't able to get home until 11 pm witch is when I finally stripped leaves from most of the stem, trimmed the stem just below where some of the leaves had been, and placed the shriveled up cutting in some water. Amazingly the cutting has come back to life and it smells wonderful. So I'm going to have a purple basil plant to add to my window garden.

The peppermint hasn't grown roots yet, but it is trying to put out more leaves. I might have to move it further away from the window. We will see what happens there. The cuttings from my own sweet basil plant are the cuttings that are doing the best right now. Their roots started forming yesterday morning and have quadrupled in size.

So far the only plant that I am not sure will grow from the cutting that I have is my catnip. Some of it's lower leaves have started to rot but the rest of it looks healthy so I'm going to take more of it's leaves off of it and stick it in some moist soil. At the very least, my dad's cat will be happy since she will get more leaves from the cuttings.

Jeremy brua

I might have to try that with my basil!

Spotted
Cool Member

I highly suggest that you do. So far the basil seems to be the easiest thing to root in water. At least for me.

Finally got to my catnip today. the lower leaves were dieing in the glass of water so I trimmed it more, put the cuttings aside for dads cat, (she will be pleased.) and stuck the stems in dirt. This is the method that seems to work the best for catnip, according to different forums.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”