christel

Herb/weed ID

Can anybody help identifying this herb for me?

[img]https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/christel__2006/weed1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/christel__2006/weed.jpg[/img]

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, it looks a lot like the lemon balm in my yard . . . but, I can't account for the 2nd picture showing the purple in the stems :? .

Perhaps, it is growing in the shade and has that tinge to it . . ? Mine is in the full sun, for the most part.

Here is a google image search for lemon balm.

Steve

christel

digitS' wrote:Well, it looks a lot like the lemon balm in my yard . . . but, I can't account for the 2nd picture showing the purple in the stems :? .

Perhaps, it is growing in the shade and has that tinge to it . . ? Mine is in the full sun, for the most part.

Here is a google image search for lemon balm.

Steve
Hi Steve
I have lemon balm in my garden too but this is not it. This is a weedy kind of herb. The second plant is the same thing, just a younger one. It is definitiv from the mint family as it has that minty feel to it when you eat it but it also gives off some kind of coagulation when chewed like ground ivy, lemon balm doesn't do that.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

It is definitely mint. My old neighbor had a huge 15 foot area taken overr with mint. If one root is left in the ground it sprouts back up.

christel

ReptileAddiction wrote:It is definitely mint. My old neighbor had a huge 15 foot area taken overr with mint. If one root is left in the ground it sprouts back up.
I don't think it is mint. If it is I have never seen or tasted that kind before. I thought I had ALL kinds of mint in my garden and they all smell minty but this one doesn't smell minty just tastes minty. The smell is almost unpleasant while the other mints I have in my garden smell lovely. This species also hasn't got the creepy roots other mint varieties have, when it is pulled out, it's out, no root remnants stay in the ground.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Maybe it 2 varieties cross pollinated?

christel

ReptileAddiction wrote:Maybe it 2 varieties cross pollinated?
could be I suppose
Thanks for thinking and replying. Wishing you a warmer week end than we're gonna have.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”