mscratch

Another Parsley Question

I also have a 2nd year plant and its a gorgeous 4' tall specimen..what I am wondering is if I dry the leaves will they be overly bitter? I did dry quite a few in the Spring..the temps here are really getting up there now.. this is actually the first time I have allowed parsley to produce seeds which are just beginning to form.. I had lived up North(Maine) for quite a few years and had to change my gardening techniques and have forgotten a few things about growing in the Midwest.. will this be it's last year of production? I am hoping the worms that turn into butterflys will find it! thanks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not sure about the bitter, but yes once it sets seed, its lifespan will be over.

This is my first time of letting it go like this (I've always just grown it as an annual and started over every year) and I am pretty amazed at how huge it suddenly is...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I tasted mine, the differently shaped leaves up near the flower buds. It tasted quite strongly of parsley, with a slight bitter aftertaste, but pretty tolerable...

mscratch

mine are mainly dried for fish dishes and boiled potatoes with butter..home dried seems to me to hold the greeness color alot better.

Perennialnorthernmichigan

I cant believe how hardy parsley is. I also used it as an annual and in the winter I put my pot in the basement, with hardly any light. I could not believe that when I went down there a month later new spouts of parsley was growing.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have one too that flowered, but the flowers seem to stay the same for a few months. Have not really made seeds yet.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”