PhillyGardener

Something is eating my basil leaves

The last two days I've noticed big chomps out of the leaves on one of my basil plants. I've checked under the leaves for culprits but only found a small gray jumping spider. This morning half of one of the leaves was gone and another had some damage (holes in the middle). I don't see little bite marks--it looks like sometihng cut the leaf, almost. Any ideas as to what it could be? I'd post a photo but didn't have a chance to take one this morning.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Roundish holes in the middle of the leaves sounds like slug damage. You will never see them in the daytime, they only come out at night. Type slug control into the Search the Forum Keyword box to find lots written here about them.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207406]Here's[/url] an earlier thread about slug damage on basil plants *with* photos. See if the damage resembles that in your garden. If so, you know the enemy, and there is an absolute BOATLOAD of information on this site about dealing with said enemy. :twisted:

(Much of said information from rainbowgardener and me.)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

PhillyGardener

Sorry for the repetitive post--I searched but apparently not for the right thing. I think it's probably slug damage. I saw a slug in my garden this morning and squished it...I felt kind of bad. His little slug antennae/eye things were kind of cute :cry:

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”