dtlove129

Questions about potting herbs

Well I'm not going to take the time to start an herb garden this year (give me a project for next year), but I am going to pot some. I bought a 3 cubic feet (probably 2-2.5 feet diameter) and a 1 cuft (probably 1.5 diameter) that I'm going to use to plant some. Are there certain herbs that won't do well together? Also is there an order to put them in for display that you would recommend to make a nice looking container (taller ones in back or middle)? I also have a 10 inch deep by probably 3 feet wide window planter that I can use if some of them have smaller root systems.

I've pasted a list below of some that the greenhouse at my college I work out is selling today for cheap. Is there certain ones of those you recommend. especially like which of these basils. I'm probably going to grow chives, catnip, lemon balm, mint, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme, dill, basil, and cilantro.

Basil Large Leaf Italian
Basil Red Rubin
Basil Purple Ruffles
Basil Lemon Sweet Dani
Basil Valentino
Catmint or Catnip
Cilantro/Coriander
Dill Bouquet
Fennel
Lavender Munstead English
Lavender Lady
Lemon Grass
Marjoram Sweet
Oregano
Oregano Greek
Parsley Curly Krausa
Peppermint
Sage
Stevia
Thyme

applestar
Mod

Taller in the middle if to be viewed 360°, taller in the back if against the wall etc and only from one side. Same in terms of sun exposure.
dtlove129 wrote:Is there certain ones of those you recommend. especially like which of these basils. I'm probably going to grow chives, catnip, lemon balm, mint, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme, dill, basil, and cilantro.
Group in terms of sun and water
(1) sunny dry - rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, dill
(2) part sun, less dry - chives, cilantro, basil
(3) individually - mint, lemon balm, catnip (I think catmint must be better as herbal tea at least I don't enjoy catnip as much as my cats do) Mint and lemon balm are shade tolerant. Catnip prefers more sun.

Basils need about 12" for each plant. You might be able to squeeze in 4 in the 3' planter if it has 10" soil depth.

Dill need deep container. Thyme needs shallowest but can also be planted along the front edge of deeper containers.
Dill, cilantro, basil (to some extent) will reseed if allowed to go to seed and grow again in fall or next spring.
Rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, chives, mint, lemon balm, catnip art perennial if you can keep them alive over winter.
Rosemary needs to brought inside for winter in Zones 6/7 and north.

...oops sorry ran out of time. Hope that much helped.

Basil Large Leaf Italian
Basil Red Rubin
Basil Purple Ruffles
Basil Lemon Sweet Dani
Basil Valentino
Catmint or Catnip
Cilantro/Coriander
Dill Bouquet
Fennel
Lavender Munstead English
Lavender Lady
Lemon Grass
Marjoram Sweet
Oregano
Oregano Greek
Parsley Curly Krausa
Peppermint
Sage
Stevia
Thyme

lily51
Greener Thumb

Sounds like a fun project! A person can get really hooked on Herb gardening , do be prepared. My only advice is to not put basil out until no chance of cold temp, that or bring planter in to house or garage at night. It's very tender, but worth the wait. Enjoy!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Another thing to think about is annuals vs. perennials. The annuals will be done at the end of the season. The perennials will be permanent and will continue to get bigger year by year.

Annuals - basils, cilantro, dill, fennel. Stevia is a tender perennial, often treated as an annual in cold winter areas. Parsley is a biennial which will winter over and then set flowers the next year. I'm not sure about the lemon grass, which I have never grown.

All the rest are perennials. They do better not planted with annuals, because you don't want to be digging around their roots too much. And they need some room, since they are going to keep growing.

Most of these are good sized plants once they get going, so you might need to whittle your list down a bit.

imafan26
Mod

Dill is a short lived annual that does not like a lot of water or rich soil. Bouquet is a short one about 2-3 ft tall.
Basils like a moister soil with average fertility. The different basils can be planted together but basil can get almost three feet tall and a couple of feet wide so you need to mind your spacing so they don't crowd
Mints are very invasive so I would plant them by themselves in a pot.

I usually like to put dry herbs together like oregano, thyme, sage and rosemary. The thyme and oregano will trail out of the pot sage and rosemary are more upright. Rosemary can have a very long life and get very big so I put that in a pot too.

Most of the herbs are not winter hardy so putinng herbs in pots allows you to bring the less hardy ones inside.

Stevia also has a limited range where it like to grow. Stevia will bloom and set seeds, you can collect the seeds to start more. After the bloom, the top will die back but if the roots had time to develop, they will stay alive and grow again.

Fennel needs to be by itself. It doesn't like to be within 10 ft of other plants. Blooming fennel stunts plants nearby.
Fennel should not be near its relatives, dill or parsley since it may be possible for them to cross polinate.

Lavender also likes slightly alkaline well drained soil and it is a perennial. In the ground it will become a large mounding plant. In a pot it will be smaller.

Lemon grass can also form a mound so it should be in its own pot.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”