Peterid
Newly Registered

Herb garden on my balcony.

I'm sort of new to gardening, and my space is very limited, but nothing beats cooking with fresh herbs so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Right now I have four herbs: large leaf Italian basil, flat leaf parsley, Italian oregano, and blue Tuscan rosemary. As I said, space is very limited and I know that I won't be able to give any of the plants the space that they really need. My main concern is that my balcony is north facing and doesn't get a lot of direct sun. My plants have been out there for about a week now, and they all appear to be growing well.

I'm sort of just wondering where to go from here. How do I best care for these herbs?

Peterid
Newly Registered

How much should I be harvesting? I've been taking sparingly because I don't want to really hurt the plants. Also, I'm not fully sure how to go about harvesting the oregano. Do I take individual leaves or entire sprigs?

Peterid
Newly Registered

Ok. I just trimmed down the basil, parsley, and oregano. I left the rosemary alone because I only planted it yesterday. Just curious, how far should I cut back the parsley and oregano?

Also, I plan to add sage and thyme to my garden. Is there anything I should consider when I pick varieties of those?

Peterid
Newly Registered

[img]https://i41.tinypic.com/9fpnvm.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i41.tinypic.com/35jmgxu.jpg[/img]

That's what I have to work with for space. I plan on letting them get as big as they can in that confined space, then just pruning them down and sharing whatever I don't use with friends. I'm also thinking about putting a second plant in each section.

I've thought about trying to dry my leftover herbs for later use, but I really have no idea how to go about that process. I can't really afford a dehydrator at the moment.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

You could also have a few hanging planters of herbs. Thyme and oregano should work and be pretty.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”