Susan W
Greener Thumb

Dill

Growing dill should be so easy. Well maybe not. It only does here spring and fall, and I am not doing great. On a scale of 1 -10. in the 2.5 range.

I planted some fern leaf variety late summer, as said to be shorter, more suited to pots. It did fair. This winter have planted 3 varieties in pots (fern leaf, bouquet and another). Results in the low range. As I scoped the box store today (HD and Lowes get deliveries Tues-Wed), got some fern leaf, and is pretty.

Especially for those in warmer climes, where do you put yours? Container, in ground? AM or all day sun?

Thanks in advance for any clues

applestar
Mod

Mine also come up on their own. I started out with Monmouth Dill and Bouquet Dill. I just gather up the seed when they form and dry, and fling them around. :wink:

I agree you'd want an extra deep container.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Your alittle crazy apple I hope to do that some day.
With all the stuff in your yard you ever eat something by misake?

applestar
Mod

:shock: ... :lol:
Nope. No mistakes. I'm a bit obsessive about knowing what each and every one of them are. :wink:

bangstrom

I have tried growing dill in different locations around the country and it either grows like a weed or it is a struggle to keep it alive. I have no idea why. All I know is that it needs light to germinate so don't plant it too deep. It works best to scatter the seeds on the soil surface.

klevelyn
Cool Member

Dill is best in the garden rather than a pot. One year my dill is great and the next it is not. I live in the north so its a bit cool. So far it hasn't reseeded from year to year.

The seed is finicky and I sow it thick to get a good stand. I love my dill when I can get it to grow. It is so much better for my dill pickles than store bought dried.

Can you have too much dill?

schierling
Newly Registered

When we lived in Canada, dill was almost an obnoxious weed and you had to be careful where you planted it. I now live in Texas and can't grow it to save my soul. I have tried to grow it outside and inside but no luck. Glad to hear others are having trouble. :)

klevelyn
Cool Member

I planted my dill in three small rows in March. I sowed it heavy as in years past it didn't come up well.

I took a stroll today and all three rows are up and thriving. I may have to thin. Maybe it will be good this year.

mscratch

I had a heck of a time growing it in Maine but here in Mo. it is very productive..it will do what it wants to do when it wants to do it as far as germination..lol.. I find new seed sprouting up weekly from last years crop.

HannahGrace

My family grew dill several years ago but hadn't had any again till this year when I decided I wanted more herbs so I planted some in a little spot of my garden. I just scattered it on the soil and it's coming up great! :) When we had it before I didn't like it at all (smelled weird) but now I really like dill, especially on popcorn. ;)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”