Swainer
Newly Registered

Basil problems...

I started some basil a few weeks ago with a host of other plants and now I have a few of them starting to wilt. I can't seem to find any difinitive info in my books and online as to what this means, so I'm asking all of you. The leaf tips are dying and are now dried and brown. The balance of the leaf and stems are of normal coloring. I have other basils that are in perfect condition. The soils are of good moisture levels as my 20+ other plants are doing great. Any ideas? Where to start investigating?

I have a picture, but I can't find where I can add it...[/img]

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I had basil in a green house once and it melts into a goo puddle.
I know the leafs curl.
Are they inside?
Did you harden them off to fast?
Is a beam of light hitting the plants?
I think they like it warm idk this is my 2nd growing them first for seeds.
Were they from the same seed set?
How much basil do you need?
If the others are doing ok idk.
Do they share roots in dirt with other plants some don't get along.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Basil: Basil is an all around friend of the garden. Tomatoes do well with basil around them making them more disease resistant and adding flavor to them. Whiteflies truly hate basil and will not come near it. Pots of Basil placed around the house and yard will also drive the House Fly away. Rue and basil both repel House Fly’s but planted next to each other will be disastrous to each other. Not too mention a sprinkling of Basil enhances many dishes including soups, salads, tomatoes etc.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The picture would help. Instructions for posting pictures here are in the New to Helpful Gardener? section, under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members....

You mentioned wilt and you mentioned drying leaf tips. Those are different processes to me, which is why the pictures would help.

The browning leaf tips could be a bit of sunburn as I think GG was suggesting or it could be some disease process. Wilting can happen with under or over watering.

Swainer
Newly Registered

Sorry for the confusion. The problem is drying leaf tips. I did read on how to post a photo but I'm not going to join a website for pictures on here. I'm apart of other forums that have photo capability. I'm guessing this one is still "growing"...no pun intended.

One of the affected plants is in it's own container. The other shares a large pot with another basil plant (They're about 4" apart now, but they are only approx. 1-1/2" tall, so there is plenty of clearance. They are currently indoors and in a window which only allows direct sun for approx. 3 hours or so. Mind you that the plant that is 4" away is perfectly healthy.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Roger, our Web Master is working on the update / upgrade. Last time I heard he is testing off line. For now Photobucket is free and easy.

Eric

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”