Susa

comfrey from seed

Does anyone have any experience growing comfrey from seed? I sowed some several weeks ago but none have germinated, while every other herb I sowed at the same time is growing well.
Thanks

soil
Greener Thumb

be patient, it may take a few weeks.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Susan to Susa
I have done some comfrey seeds. I got some last Aug-Sept, and wasn't real scientific about starting. I wanted to get the starts going and into 1 gal nursery pots for this spring. What I did find out is they need a chilling time. I put some in a 10 peat pellet tray, and put that in veggie drawer in frig. I had it in a baggie, not tied. After 3 wks or so took out and put tray in shade, sheltered. Voila! Sprouts! They came up fine and were then put in the gal pots. I think all are good as I see a bit of activity in them. Another tray I just had in shade/sheltered. Temps not hot, and a few chilly nights. They sprouted. Now for both not 100% to be sure.

I did try again this winter, again a 10 pellet tray. It was outside on a shelf, shade, sheltered. I have 5 sprouts from it. I am thinking it didn't get cold enough, but not giving up! 2 in gal pots, 3 ready to be up potted.

Hope this helps

Susa

Susan - peat trays are just plain peat moss? Also, is there a reason the bag was left open in the refrigerator? I'm curious about this because I tried chilling some bald cypress seeds in the past, in a sealed bag, and they all were moldy when I took them out a few weeks later.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The peat pellets are basically little blocks of peat moss, that come compressed and then expand when you add water. I think they usually have fertilizer added.

https://www.herbkits.com/jiffy_peat_pellets.htm?gclid=CPGfisTez64CFUdN4AodPDB_Cw

Leaving the bag open would be to allow some moisture to escape to prevent what happened to you.

Susa

D'oh, I don't know why I even had to ask about the sealed bag/molding seeds as it makes complete sense to me now. :oops:
Thanks

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Don't give up ! I see 3 more sprouting from the 10. 5 potted now + 3 isn't bad.

estorms

Just a note of warning. Comfrey can be invasive. It has a large tap root. I don't know how far it goes because I was never able to find the end!

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

estorms wrote:Just a note of warning. Comfrey can be invasive. It has a large tap root. I don't know how far it goes because I was never able to find the end!
In one book it says 10 feet deep.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”