bellabonbon

I actually took an Chamomile supplement, and it made me so tired I almost fell asleep driving home from work. I heard Kava Kava produces safer relaxation results. Is it legal to plant kava kava seeds in the US?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know about legal, but I found this:

Piper methysticum [kava kava] is not grown from seed as its flowering parts are usually sterile.

https://www.plot55.com/growing/p.methysticum.html

NewbieHerbGuy95
Newly Registered

If it's legal to buy in the united states, I don't see why you can't grow it. A quick google search showed up a Hawaiian Kava farm. You should be good to go.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Incidentally, for most people chamomile is a very mild relaxant. Kava is considerably stronger and is not safe to take on a long term basis, as it can damage the liver. Kava is also not safe to take with alcohol:

"Kava kava is the root of a deciduous shrub called Pipermethysticum. South Pacific Island cultures have used kava forcenturies. However, in some countries kava has become a drug ofabuse and is a serious social and health problem. Kava acts as astimulant or depressant depending on the amount taken. Therefore,to help insomnia, take the daily dose all at one time, one hourbefore bedtime.

The dose of kava required depends on the amount ofthe active ingredient-substances, called kavalactones, in theproduct. German authorities recommend that people use kava extractstandardized to 30% kavalactones. Do not take kava if you arepregnant, breastfeeding, or have clinical depression. Kava mayaffect judgment or reflexes during the operation of machinery, andmay enhance the effects of alcohol and psychiatric drugs. German and Australianauthorities recommend that people who use kava daily do so for onlyfour weeks to three months."
https://www.thirdage.com/alternative-integrative-health/herbal-supplements-to-treat-sleeplessness-0?page=2

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

agreed, kava will not be a safer driving-home choice than chamomile.

dhsbrenda
Newly Registered

Reading further I saw Germany removed the restrictions on Kava b/c they had been put in as to people who had used kava with synthetic compounds. There is no research showing liver damage using natural kava.

imafan26
Mod

Kava kava or awa is in the pepper family. it is more of a viny shrub.
It was used by the natives for years

I agree it is probably not a good idea to have it before you drive.

Kava is something used as a tea, to help people who have problems sleeping, especially shift workers.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”