rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Voices30
Cool Member

Congratulations, are you growing the herbs for personal use, or do you plan to sell some? Herbs do particularly well at farmers markets in 4" pots. It's just an idea, but if you have gotten really good at getting them started, it doesn't take a huge investment to make a little business out of them. I sold herbs for a few years here locally, and I even sold them through the internet. It's the only thing I have ever grown consistently besides my succulents and my citrus.

and Sorry, I'm that guy who wants to turn EVERYTHING into a business, it's just the way my brain works, I apologize in advance!

shadylane
Green Thumb

Yes congrats on your success.
To sell at your local Farmers Markets you need to sign up and it takes a while to actually become involved . To sell home made goodies (jams and jellies) one needs to take a short college coarse and then have your goods to inspected.

imafan26
Mod

Congratulations. I have been growing herbs for years. I have gotten quite spoiled now and prefer fresh to dried and bottled. I do give quite a few away.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Great on the herbs starts, MG! Now amongst us readers, any tips?

I'm trying to do from seed. From other posts, some may recall I use peat pellets in the little 10/12 to a tray as I have so many things going on at the same time. I over seed by a bunch.

I have found oregano and marjoram similar, and yes they are cousins. Marjoram more delicate. Once up to put in 4" pots, put 2 pellets in. From looking at the last up potting need to leave more stems, thin less!
Winter savory -messing with. I tried summer savory last season and it was pitiful.
When I tried thyme it was all over sprawly. Need to try again!

I'm getting back with parsley. We're getting along OK, and I need to keep on it! I was starting some fairly well last Aug-Sept, thinking to pot in 4" pots for window sill herbs for market. Things got a tad out of hand, and a few needed upped to larger pots! Sold some. A couple weeks ago pulled the 4" and larger to clean, trim etc. less than 10 pots total. They had been brought back in with colder temps. A few days later I saw the dreaded Aphids! So, q-tip and alcohol. Keep that group separate etc. They're back out now, away from anything else. As I can't say aphid free, letting them grow and harvesting leaves for market.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”