Jes

What herbs do you grow?

Hey! Happy Friday everyone! :flower:

So I could have sworn that I saw a thread somewhere about commonly used herbs that everyone grows but I can't seem to find it. I want to have herbs for culinary (and medical/other) purposes. I have a book that lists multiple uses for many herbs, some of which I've never even heard of!

Here's a list of what seeds I have already:

Catmint (to go in a large pot)
Spearmint (also going in a pot)
Dill
Fennel
Roman Chamomile
Chives
Cilantro (Coriander)
English Lavender
Echinacea
Italian Parsley (to be planted in the ground and in a pot for winter use)
Creeping Thyme
Lime Basil (to be planted in the ground and in a pot for winter use)
Borage

What other seeds would you recommend when space isn't an issue? I know that Fennel needs to be kept away from Dill and Chives, and that anything in the mint family will take over a garden. Do you have any other tips that are important? :?:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jes wrote:Hey! Happy Friday everyone! :flower:

So I could have sworn that I saw a thread somewhere about commonly used herbs that everyone grows but I can't seem to find it. I want to have herbs for culinary (and medical/other) purposes. I have a book that lists multiple uses for many herbs, some of which I've never even heard of!

Here's a list of what seeds I have already:

Catmint (to go in a large pot)
Spearmint (also going in a pot)
Dill
Fennel
Roman Chamomile
Chives
Cilantro (Coriander)
English Lavender
Echinacea
Italian Parsley (to be planted in the ground and in a pot for winter use)
Creeping Thyme
Lime Basil (to be planted in the ground and in a pot for winter use)
Borage

What other seeds would you recommend when space isn't an issue? I know that Fennel needs to be kept away from Dill and Chives, and that anything in the mint family will take over a garden. Do you have any other tips that are important? :?:
Along with all of the above (except I have lemon basil not lime), I grow

green basil, red basil, sometimes purple basil, oregano, sage, anise hyssop, lemon balm, yarrow, tansy, vervain, st john's wort, calendula (pot marigold), bee balm, sweet woodruff. (not always clear what counts as an herb... since you listed chives, I'm also growing onions and garlic). I have rosemary seed planted right now, but rosemary is tricky for me to overwinter, so some years I have some and some years I don't. I have on order a plant of hardy Rosemary Madeline Hill, which is supposed to survive my winters. Hope it does!

I absolutely would not do without the oregano, sage, anisse hyssop, lemon balm and bee balm. But the lemon balm is another of the mint family ones that should be grown in a pot. It's becoming quite a nuisance in my yard since I didn't do that.

I am growing borage again this year. I did it a couple years ago, planted in the bed with my tomatoes, since besides attracting bees, it is reputed to keep tomato hornworms away. HOWEVER, I ended up pulling it out and composting it, because it became huge and weedy and was taking over the bed. I didn't let it go to seed, but it is also reputed to self-seed profusely. I am trying it again this year, but will not put it in with the tomatoes and will keep it deadheaded.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jes

I am growing borage again this year. I did it a couple years ago, planted in the bed with my tomatoes, since besides attracting bees, it is reputed to keep tomato hornworms away. HOWEVER, I ended up pulling it out and composting it, because it became huge and weedy and was taking over the bed. I didn't let it go to seed, but it is also reputed to self-seed profusely. I am trying it again this year, but will not put it in with the tomatoes and will keep it deadheaded.
Would trimming the borage help keep it in check? I plan on planting it with the herbs but with plenty of room around it.

Jes

Hmm. Maybe the borage won't be in the middle of the herb garden afterall. I'll put it off to the side and see what it does this year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mine was blue flowered. At the time I said no more and decided it would make good compost, it was already at least close to 3' tall and wide. And not all that pretty-- coarse, hairy leaves and weedy looking.

People say those leaves are edible, but they didn't inspire ME to try to eat them!

thurkun

Borage tastes like cucumber, so much so that it is disconcerting. You put the leaves in a salad , you taste cucumber, but there's no cucumber crunch. We used it more in tea, but again you wanted to chew since you have that great cucumber taste in your mouth. It was a rather untidy herb but the flowers were wonderful looking and if you want, they can be candied.
As for other herbs to grow, we have all the Italian herbs, a Rosemary hedge, lemon balm that is everywhere in the yard (smells good cutting the grass)and Bay ,both in pots and the ground(we trade it to local restaurants for the occasional free meal, the Buy Local Craze is wonderful).
It doesn't take much room to grow all the herbs you use in cooking and they do so add a great flavor to wantever you make.
Pat

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes! I make wonderful spring salads with herbs as an ingredient (I.e. not sprinkled in like seasonings, but used as a real component). Throw in handfuls of herbs (like lemon balm, parsley, mint, etc) and [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66667&highlight=edible+flowers#66667]edible flowers[/url] along with your lettuce, spinach, chard, spring veggies. Fabulous!

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Mmm lemon and lime basil ill have to get some seeds to do both. Can you taste the flavor in both?
I wish Cilantro (Coriander) had that.
I have about 10 to 15 herbs planted
My wife loves the rosemary plant we have.
I have a herb book like you jes. Thicker then a phonebook and so much stuff in there lol.
Maybe one day ill have a great herb garden of stuff not bought in stores.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yes, my lemon basil is definitely lemon-y!

lily51
Greener Thumb

Jes..welcome to the world of herbs! I started growing them over 30 years ago and haven't stopped.
Everyone here has given you great suggestions.
Glad to see others have tried borage. I like it for its blue flowers that turn pinkish as they blossom and how it attracts bees. It does "travel" but is easy to pull. Just put it out-of-the-way spot.

Agree with rainbow that lemon basil has nice flavor. Lime doesn't taste much different from lemon to me, but maybe that's me.
Purple ruffles basil has an anise-like flavor that adds a lot to dishes.

If you find you enjoy growing herbs, there might be an herb society in your area to learn even more.

Happy Herb Gardening! :)

Jes

Thanks!

I really hope that I become better with gardening. Right now my seedlings don't look so great...this is only my first year but I expected to do better than I am.

My grandma is my inspiration. She can grow ANYTHING. I want to be as good as her some day. Her yard is an oasis of plants and wildlife. And it's immaculate too! I can't wait for her to come visit this spring and help with some planting. She's simply amazing.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's great that you have that kind or role model, support and help. She's been doing it a lot of years. You can't expect to know everything or have a yard like that starting out!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I grow chocolate mint, sweet mint, lemon balm, cilantro, parsley, several basils, sage, rosemary, lavender, yarrow, and I am starting up chamomile and anise hyssop.

Runningtrails

I grow choc mint, reg mint, thyme, oregano, parsley, chives, garlic chives, green onions, heal-all, evening primrose, st john's work, mullein, red and white yarrow, calendula, purslane, echinacea, cilantro, feverfew, meadowsweet, lemon balm, catnip, motherwort, sage

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah I forgot I also grow garlic chives and purslane.

HannahGrace

I've never done many herbs (mainly rosemary, parsley and sage) but this year I'm wanting to do a bunch.
spearmint
lemon balm
lemon thyme (my oldest sister got me a plant last year)
rosemary
sage
cilantro
parsley
basil
dill
thyme
lavender (not sure exactly why I'm doing that: I don't even like it!!!)
yarrow
stevia
pennyroyal
majoram

lily51
Greener Thumb

Sounds like a good list of herbs . One thing on mints is that they can really take over, so watch where they are planted. But they do have wonderful aromas, especially the chocolate mints.
Don't know where you live, but basil has to have warmth. I'm in Ohio and its the last herb planted each spring.
Enjoy your herbal endeavors! :)

Jes

Yeah, any mint I plant will stay in pots. My mom and I planted mint in her raised concrete flower beds in front of the house and they practically over-ran the hostas...not that I minded (I hated hostas) but Mom has been ripping out mint for the past 10 years and still can't get rid of it. *LOL* Last year we finally demolished the entire raised bed, stripped everything out, extended it 2 feet into the yard, and put in all-new plants so we'll see if it comes back this year!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”