GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

parsley will this grow big agian?

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-02-02_13-42-19_7.jpg[/img]

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Parsley is one of the plants that can't take much cold. Mine have survived pretty nicely this very mild winter, but in the past, they died quickly when the temperatures got close to freezing.

When that happens, I just get new starter plants from the nursery. For a couple dollars I can get enough plants to bear me parsley all season long.

It may take longer for that plant to come back. Also, I've had much better success with them in the ground as opposed to in pots.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I have more seeds.
This plant is in the ground the square you see has no bottom.
I found 6 or so of them in my yard under some bushes.
Idk what they are but I like them.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Parsley is a biennial, IOW, a 2 year plant. I have had it go down in winter come back pretty in spring. That can be harvested, but time to start a fresh new batch. The parsley I have now (several very large containers) has stayed green this winter, short stems. I may rely on starts from the store rather than from seed this year. I figure to re-do each pot, one at a time, and keep offerings of the older until the new kicks in.

This season plan to rig up the bird netting I got last year (still in package) to hinder the black swallowtail butterfly. How I love butterflies, but when she lays eggs on the parsley, those larvae chew it up way fast! These very large pots in part shade, up on pallets in back drive. Parsley is a cool weather crop, does well in spring here, slows in summer, kicks back in by September.

Hope this helps

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

GardenGnome wrote:This plant is in the ground the square you see has no bottom.I found 6 or so of them in my yard under some bushes. Idk what they are but I like them.
They look like flue liners to me. Perhaps something like in this pic:

[img]https://chimneyresource.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/iStock_000003536170XSmall2.jpg[/img]

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I have parsley growing in several places on the floor of my greenhouse for 4 years now. I keep clipping several branches and it keeps coming. I give some to the rabbits also! I also have swiss chart on the floow and it keeps coming as long as I top it! Two great plants!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Just like cilantro, I allow several parsley plants to go to seed each year. I gather the seeds and sprinkle them in a few beds and plants, but the plants self seed as well. Large black swallowtail butterflies lay eggs on parsley as a host plant, so having an excess of parsley is beneficial in that way as well. But in addition to the plants seeded in the beds, volunteers sprout up under the edges of raised beds and in the ground in several locations. For the past few years, the parsley and cilantro that self seeded in the fall managed to live and produce through the winter and into the spring. Those plants are allowed to reseed and the cycle continues, year after year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah I grow lots of parsley (and dill and fennel, in the same family) mainly for the butterflies!

applestar
Mod

When parsley bolts to form flower heads, they grow surprisingly HUGE :shock: But if you have the space, it's a good idea to let them flower because these flowers are attractive to a number of beneficial insects that will join your Garden Patrol in search of pests like aphids, whiteflies, scale, etc. as well as caterpillars of all kinds.

Some of the desirable butterfly caterpillars will fall prey, but many moth and some butterfly larvae are interested in your garden. cehck out the Beneficial Insects sticky in Organic Disease and Insect Control for more info. :wink:

(oh here's another thread FYI: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150356 )

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Kisal yeah but there only 6 inches long. I like them
Yeah I. Bet a lot of my herbs dropped seeds everywhere.I have a new area

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Apple, I think I should put a few parsleys in the beds, a few flower beds way too neglected. I can let the plants go. As for the bird netting on others, I was trying for a cash crop, well in my case cash being nickel and dime! I didn't have the netting last season, and there are way too many larvae for the plants. One female lays more than a couple of eggs on the sweet pretty leaves.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

GardenGnome wrote:Kisal yeah but there only 6 inches long. I like them
Yeah I. Bet a lot of my herbs dropped seeds everywhere.I have a new area
My guess would be that they were the leftovers ("trimmings") left after the liners were cut to fit for what ever job was being done. The person who left them there might have gotten them from a friend or someone he knew in construction.

I had a friend who bought a few such flue liners and used them as the pedestals for birdbaths. She put a plastic garbage can lid upside down on the top as the "saucer" part to hold the water. She tied a length of light line (nylon rope) to the handle of each lid, and tied a weight on the other end, dropping the weight into the open middle of the flue liners. They made rather attractive birdbaths.

I think they're rather useful things, myself, and could be used many creative ways in a garden. :)

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I careful not to break any.
They were under some vine type plant.
You find odd things if you look.
I found a green house in my black berry bushes ;)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”