Susan W
Greener Thumb

Cilantro seedlings

I planted some cilantro (slow bolt variety) in a pot, came up just fine. All of the seedlings are doubles, that being 2 distinct stems from one seed. I thinned one out, and indeed are 2 stems, 2 roots (roots are long!). When they develop some real leaves etc, not sure if one needs to be sacrificed to let other grow.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Two growing close together will do just fine. I wouldn't leave a cluster growing right together however. I let my cilantro go to seed in the summer and then broadcast the seeds in my raised beds. That cilantro germinates in the fall and provides us with fresh cilantro throughout the winter and into the next spring.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Cilantro seeds are encased in the dry "fruit" - that looks like a round seed. Each fruit contains 2 seeds.

You can run over the seed with your rolling pin - might want to use a paper bag of piece of cloth so they don't end up on your kitchen floor. Doing this, improves germination, altho' that doesn't seem to have been a problem for you, Susan.

The ultimate size of the plant seems to have a lot to do with growing conditions. Everything kinda in moderation, they grow about 5x bigger than if they catch a vagrant thought to bolt to seed.

Steve :?

ETA: Your rolling pin will separate the fruit into the 2 seeds.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My cilantro is grown in very loose soil. The plants lift and separate easily, and almost never die as a result of transplanting, even when the roots are entwined. Still, I wouldn't be overly concerned with two plants growing close together, as long as they have a good clear zone around them.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I grew some last year then it died.
So if I grow one now and then start one in fall.
Ill have some all year around?
Can they handle the cold? Mostly rain with alittle snow?
I do have a green house also.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for explanation of the 2 seeds in a pod. I will be doing some thinning and adding more dirt as the seedlings are a bit tall, and dirt has settled. The pot went outside to play today as it was warm, too warm for Feb 2! I was thinking it was getting some sun, then shade. I checked and the spot is sunnier longer than I thought, and the soil was drying. I watered, and think overall just lost a couple.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I am thinking my Cilantro days are gone, a short lived try. I have a few 10" pots my starts. Then got some pretty starts at the box store early, about a month ago. I have been able to cut some for the market, but see the plants aren't going anywhere. In fact, looks like they're already going south with this warm weather. I had a few weak ones I grew from seed in the fall. Not worth the effort, and especially with limited space.

BTW, I don't like cilantro, averse to the smell. I may just kiss this try good by!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My cilantro grows best through the fall and winter, bolting very early in the hot days of spring. With a mild winter, the plants produce like crazy. In a cold winter growth is much slower, but still generally provides a decent harvest. During the spring and summer, only very young plants seem to do well, as the hot temperatures evidently tell mature plants to start flowering for seed production.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I plant a whole 20 ft row just to grow seeds. I cut off the limbs as the seeds become ready to harvest then toss them in a very large cardboard box. The seeds dry and fall off fairly easy.

I sprinkle about 100 seeds in a small 10" circle. When the plants get about 8 to 12"" tall cut the plants off with scissors for mexican food dishes.

I plant a 10" patch of seeds about every 2 weeks all summer this keeps the plants coming all summer.

I never knew cilantro would grow all winter I will try that this year.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You are a zone or two up from me, so you may need to protect the winter plants or perhaps grow them in containers to bring inside when the lows dip into the mid 20's or lower. During very cold winters, the cilantro doesn't do very well for us, but for the past couple of years, our plants have produced vigorous in all except the coldest periods.

If you have a protected southern exposure, you may want to try a few plants there. With a little experimenting, I would think that you could usually have success with a winter planting.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”