PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Is this Anise Hyssop?

Hi,

I think I got the wrong plant. I was at a nursery and saw what I thought was Anise Hyssop. I asked the guy the name and he said we call that something something Sage. I asked again cause I didn't understand him cause of his accent, and when he repeated I didn't catch the name that time either. I didn't wanna ask a 3rd time. I am not sure if it is Hyssop, and it is not really that fragrant so I am thinking it might not even be an edible/culinary herb.

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/942_2582.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/942_2583.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/942_2584.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/942_2585.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not anise hyssop. The leaves are a little similar, though more puckery than hyssop, but the flower spike is totally different. The plant looks woodier and more shrubby than my hyssops do. Not sure what it is, but I'm not guessing that it is any culinary herb.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I don't think I'm going to be able to help you identifying what it is, PR. I'll say, probably not anise hyssop.

You came very close, if it isn't anise hyssop. Anise hyssop should have a decidedly licorice scent. The flowers should be lavender purple - I think that best describes it, altho' I don't see colors quite as well as most people. The flowers will fade to nearly-white as seed develops.

Anise hyssop is neither anise nor hyssop. I wish it didn't have that name but I'm not sure of a better one. It might be better if it was called licorice mint. Still and obviously, it isn't licorice. And, while in the mint family, there are others in that family that are more commonly called mint. Of the plants we may find around homes -- anise hyssop is probably more closely related to the monardas.

Stuck with whatever name, at least, it is very easy to start from seed. And, it reseeds itself if you allow it. Up it comes in the spring, usually, as far too many plants! Even in this short-season area, the seedlings easily grow to maturity and set seed each year.

My 1st packet of seeds was bought probably 10 years ago. I kindly gave some plants to a neighbor. She put them near where I often walked by on my way to the garden. The 2nd year, after those plants had scattered seed -- I thought, "Oh Boy! I don't know whether she will think I did her a favor, or not!!"

I don't know what happened to her plants after that :roll: !

Steve

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Does Anise Hyssop grow fast from seed? Could I use a bunch during its first year?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

PR, check back through the posts. Anise Hyssop mentioned more than once. I thought I needed it (!?*) from the mentions. I did get seeds from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange when getting other stuff anyway.

Put a few in the peat pellet (10) tray, came up, moved to both pots and in ground. These were in different sun/shade areas. The ground ones were doing fine. For whatever reason, the container ones (these were large) shrugged. Alive, not growing. I dug them out, gifted to a friend, for see-what-these-do.
My in ground may be too shady, and awaiting to see what emerges. My friend is awaiting his, as he said they never 'did'

There isn't a perfect situation for plants, my friend. Lots of trial and error, and I am an expert on both.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

agastache (anise hyssop) is a hardy native that is easy to grow in sun/ part sun. But I doubt any perennial herb grows so fast that you could harvest "a bunch" of it the first year from seed. A few leaves probably. But you will never have any for those second, third, etc years, if you don't start some this year! :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The plants are in my larger veggie garden in full sun. The problem plants that reseeded so vigorously for the neighbor, were on the east side of her garage, so they had plenty of light until early afternoon. Actually, I don't think they liked it there real well but they certainly grew enuf to make seed!

By late summer, a dozen 1st-year plants provide sufficient foliage to easily fill a quart plastic bag for the freezer, PR. The big garden is completely tilled each year. Yes, I have moved older plants out of the way for this and then replanted them. They are nice large plants again in a couple of months. Still, I don't worry too much about doing this. Despite the thorough tilling, I've still got a dozen or more volunteers each year.

Things would probably be different in a smaller, shadier garden but anise hyssop is a favorite of mine and seems to like my growing conditions, as well :) .

Steve

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”