PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Growing Anise Hyssop?

Hi,

I would like to grow some Anise Hyssop this year. But I would have to grow it in a pot. What size pot is adequate? How about soil? And would it be better starting from a bought plant or seeds? I am not sure I can get my hands on a plant. Does it grow well from seed, does it grow fast?

ve3wou

PunkRotten wrote:Hi,

I would like to grow some Anise Hyssop this year. But I would have to grow it in a pot. What size pot is adequate? How about soil? And would it be better starting from a bought plant or seeds? I am not sure I can get my hands on a plant. Does it grow well from seed, does it grow fast?
[img]https://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j405/lbl4430/883.jpg[/img]
If you want to plant one,choose any size pot OK.
You want to see the flower,bigger pot is better---3-4 foot tall..
Only compost mix soil is OK.
If you want to use for herb for cooking ,plant 5-6 seeds one pot.
But want to see flower and get seed, plant only one seed.
Growing very well--actually came from weed.

McPeg

Hi,
This grows easy from seed. I grow this all the time. you can start it in a take out coffee cup in seed starting mix. It is advisable to poke a drainage hole in the bottom, get the soil "just wet" and sprinkle seeds on top. Do not cover the seeds as they are small and need light to germinate. Always water from bottom. Been growing these plants for years from seed. Once the seeds sprout let them grow to an inch in good light. You can separate them to individual plants in other cups to grow on, plant in any pot size - I give my plants a foot apart in the garden if that helps. They smell wonderful when touched. You could grow a plant in a few pots grouped together.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”