OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

What ways To Propogate

I want to propogate my moms Rue plant, at first I was looking for runners but I don't see any, I don't know if using cuttings will work but is there any good ways to propogate the plant?[/code]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Remember that Sunset Western Gardener's Book that someone (not I) on the forum sent you a while back?

The Practical Guide to Gardening (page 658 in my edition) shows several ways to propagate plants (look under "Plant Propagation"), a few of which are seed germination, leaf cuttings, root cuttings, softwood and semi-hardwood stem cuttings, and hardwood cuttings. There are several more, but the illustrations are so much an important part of the explanation in Sunset that it's an injustice (IMHO) not to give them a look-see. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Yea I seen the book and the ways they show look easy and I saw that putting them on well moist soil but I have tryed that with many of rue steams and they all die, so I'm looking for ones that maybe people have used before

mtmickey

Never tried it, as I have never grown rue, but here is a link that may help.
https://mytutorlist.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-propagate-rue-herb-plant-from.html

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't grown or propagated rue, but I noticed while the article mentions that new cuttings without roots yet don't have much way to take up water, all it says to do about that is keep it well watered. In my experience, growing things from cuttings isn't always easy and works better if you put some kind of humidity dome (such as 2 liter soda bottle with the bottom cut off) over them, or at least mist the leaves a couple times a day.

If your mom has a well established rue plant, it should be able to just be divided in the spring, which will work easier and give you a well developed rue plant a lot sooner.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Also look for starts of rue at the garden center. It doesn't show up in the box stores, but I do see it at the local garden center that has a good herb selection.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”