PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Your favorite Mint variety?

Hi,

Anyone love Mint? What is your favorite variety? So far I grow Sweet Mint, Chocolate Mint, and Lemon Balm. I have been seeing Apple Mint and Orange Mint at Lowes and Home Depot, very tempted to get them. I usually will pinch off a leaf and crush it up in my fingers and smell it. I think the Orange Mint was more fragrant than the apple.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I do love the lemon balm, but I'm a little less happy with it these days as it is starting to become a serious pest in my garden. More than any other mint I grow, it is aggressively invasive, spreading not just from the roots as mints do, but freely self seeding itself in other places around the yard. I'm going to have to work a lot harder at not letting the stuff flower and pulling it from places I don't want.

I like pennyroyal, which is the most intensely flavored mint. It is almost too strong to use for teas, etc, but is the best as a flea/ insect repellant.

estorms

I like chocolate mint. Put some in your vacum cleaner bag and the whole house smells like a peppermint patty.

amalgamate

I never would have thought to put mint in the vacuum cleaner bag. I bet that does smell amazing.

I've only grown peppermint and spearmint so far, and I like the spearmint much better.

Any idea if chocolate mint or apple mint could be bought by the seed somewhere, or are plants about the only way to buy them?

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I wish I knew the variety of mint that's in my house, its pretty nice in flavor and I'm going to have a look at home depot to see other ones

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”