Intriguedbybonsai

Peppercorn

Has anyone ever tried growing peppercorn in their gardens, or in a container? You know, like the black pepper spice we shake onto our foods. Would southern California be a suitable place to grow it?

applestar
Mod

I have been eye-ing the pepper tree plants in the Logee's catalog..... 8) They usually have reliable care instructions on their website. Take a look and let us know what you think.

DEFINITELY keep us posted if you decide to grow them. I may yet decide to try but I would have to keep mine indoors during the winter.

Intriguedbybonsai

I love that website! Thanks for the info, and I have ordered a catalog from them too. I might have to try ordering a pepper plant from them.

I remember when I was younger my grandmother used to get this catalog where you could order various plants, seeds, herbs, you name it. They sold plants of monster sized pumpkins, tomatoes, and 3-in-1 fruit trees. I wish I could remember the name of that catalog, and if they are still in business.

bg
Cool Member

Haven't grown it myself, but I sure would like to try ;3 I love freshly 'cracked' black and white pepper. I'll have to take a look at this website.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

And yes pepper trees are common in Southern Calif. It's a good place to grow them.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Pepper doesn't come from the messy, tall, red-berried trees we have here in Southern California. The berries smell like pepper.
Pepper is a plant. I don't remember which one, please Google before you buy the wrong thing.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Piper nigrum is the plant that produces the spice we call black pepper. It's a tropical plant, and although the weather in southern California is very mild, I doubt it qualifies as truly tropical, more likely, sub-tropical. The difference would be in the winter temperatures.

You might be able to grow these plants in a heated greenhouse, where you could provide adequate humidity, warmth and supplemental light. I'm not sure a home could be kept humid enough to prevent damage to the structure. That's just a guess on my part, though, based on the humidity damage my own house has suffered simply from being in Oregon. :roll:

applestar
Mod

Sorry my bad. I'm confusing the pepper tree as source of culinary spice peppers. The ones they sell at Logee's is no doubt the correct species.

...not inclined to double check my thoughts like I usualy do today as I have the "Day After Christmas-itis" -- a reaction to intense and concentrated logistical planning and fun and good food that I have suffered and enjoyed over the past several days..... nutz: :() :>

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”