Dixana
Greener Thumb

starting herbs from seed

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in seed starting but I chose here.
This is my herb list.
Chives
Garlic chives
Cilantro
Dill
Genovese Basil
Lemon Basil
Parsley (flat leaf)
Sage
Thyme
Rosemary
Lavender
What grows well from seed and what is best to purchase ad a plant?
I've started Basil and cilantro from seed in the past without issue but never any of the others.
Also, if anyone has any other herb recommendations and their reasoning for growing I'm all ears....or eyes LOL
Last edited by Dixana on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dixana wrote:I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in seed starting but I chose here.
This is my herb list.
Chives
Garlic chives
Cilantro
Dill
Genovese Basil
Lemon Basil
Parsley (flat leaf)
Sage
Thyme
Rosemary
Lavender
What grows well from seed and what is best to purchase ad a plant?
I've started Basil and cilantro from seed in the past without issue but never any of the others.
Also, if anyone has any other herb recommendations and their reasoning for growing I'm all ears....or eyes LOL
Lavender and rosemary are very slow from seed. The seeds take a long time to germinate, germination rate is lower than a lot of things, and the seedlings grow very s l o w l y ... I do some every year, but it takes patience and a bit of experience with them. I start them in January and by May they are just barely big enough to put out. All the basils, parsley, sage. dill, and thyme are easy from seed. The rest I haven't tried.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I can vouch for everything RG said, especially about the lavender. I can add that cilantro and chives are quite easy as well. Also, one you didn't mention, oregano is a pretty easy one. It starts out slow, but once it gets going and is transplanted into the ground, it really takes off!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I think Rosemary, Lavender, and Sage are best started as a plant or cutting. The rest I think are good to start from seeds. I am growing/have grown everything from your list except chives. But I have some garlic chives growing. I tried some of the garlic chives in spring and they struggled with the heat. I had some sprouts survive and I planted them in ground in September and added more seeds and now have a really nice patch.

I also grow sweet mint, chocolate mint, lemon balm, and yarrow. I like to use all of this in cooking and tea making. I am gonna start chamomile in Spring so I can make tea from it. I may plant a few other herbs for tea making and eating. Just not decided yet. Plus I have to think about the space or pots I have available and see if I can accommodate them.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”