Susan W
Greener Thumb

I was growing cilantro for the farmers market, as there is demand. I'll re-think this spring. Most likely I'll get big starts from the Box Stores, have it until it bolts (June).

applestar
Mod

You know, cilantro is so easy I think it might be easiest to just dedicate a large pot or a deeper window box for them and plant once and forget. :lol:

They do bolt easily so just let some go to seed and self seed. They don't seem to need the full sun either. I'm thinking if I had a greenhouse, this would be one of those "forgotten" things that stay under the bench.... 8)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Holy cow! can't believe this many people don't like cilantro! lol. I use it in salsa and pico de gaillo all the time!. (sp?) Sometimes add a little to spaghetti sauce. Maybe you're using it wrong if you don't like it. It adds a great "springy" taste to things. But you DEFINITELY have to be careful not to use too much. A little goes a long way.

applestar
Mod

Oh! In case it wasn't clear, I LIKE cilantro and have liked it for quite a while. Maybe it reminds me of a special vacation in Cancun.... :()

Tonio
Green Thumb

I love cilantro !!. Pico de gallo, salsa, salad, tacos.

As GardenRN says not too much !! It has almost a anise flavor?

Pperfect time to grow in SO Cal now!! Successive planting is recommended.

T

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah all my cilantro is growing great. I had one really nice plant that was huge and for some reason it wilted and died. I think this fertilizer I added killed it. But no other plant is affected including other cilantro plants.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Tonio wrote:I love cilantro !!. Pico de gallo, salsa, salad, tacos.

As GardenRN says not too much !! It has almost a anise flavor?

Pperfect time to grow in SO Cal now!! Successive planting is recommended.

T
Do you grow yours year round?

Tonio
Green Thumb

No PR, usually fall/winter/spring. Too busy during early spring think of toms, and chile, beans I let the cilantro fry..or bolt :x

I suppose if you have a partial shaded area, cilantro can grow throughout the year in SD (San Diego for you HG folk).

I have a short row - about 4' now-good enough for about 4 people through out the week pickings and keeping growth in check (salsa, garnish, salad etc ) , and another sowing about half of that starting to sprout. When the 4' row is bolting I'll pull the cilantro for compost and amend for toms/chile. I need to start considering having all growing in tandem..:x

T

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well I hope to grow some cilantro all year cause I especially wanna make salsa and need cilantro to go with my tomatoes.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Cilantro update. I got a pack of slow bolt Cilantro seeds. I planted some in a pot, is inside, and will put some in a 10 unit peat pellet tray. I remind myself that once these get up to size, they'll be offered as starts at the box stores. My seed starting operation is limited at best, so try to keep to special or off season things.

I may take the suggestion to have one of the large outdoor pots on E side of house dedicated.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Taking suggestions to heart and dirt. My cilantro starts aren't doing much, and the new ones coming in to the box stores. I have planted a few 10" pots, and did re-do a large 16" pot. This is on E side of house, so should do well with AM, mid sun. I didn't want what was in there, and dug out about top 1/2, put in fresh dirt. Perhaps these will do fine, go to seed in June and I may have babies again come September.

FWIW, tumped the old dirt out in 'the pile' and checked for worms. I had put a couple worms in every pot. Well, I did see one, nice sized, so some are surviving.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”