Susan W
Greener Thumb

dill

I hadn't grown dill before this fall (long hot muggy summers, but people ask for it at the farmers market). I started some seeds in peat pellets in August, and have the plants in 10" containers. This is Fern leaf variety, which I figured would go from planting to harvest quicker than the larger varieties, and from a google check looked like a good one for containers. There are about 4 plants/container, and not crowded at all, and the pot deep enough to handle a tap root for a few months at best. When they are history and I dump them will check the root system.

How cold can dill go? I've brought the 4 pots in when looking to go below 35, and we haven't had a real frost....yet. So far I have picked a couple of times for the market.

My plan is to bring the pots in for real when it is colder more often than not, and see how far I can push them at the window into winter. Then start with new seeds/plants early spring, and have some offered until hot weather (June-July).

I welcome any comments on growing dill, especially in containers. Temps? richness of soil? light requirements?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I haven't much trouble growing dill - it grows itself and I just pull it where it would be a problem. Sometimes dill shows up in containers where it is usually not permitted but I have allowed to stay and it does reasonably well.

Perhaps, this is bouquet dill. That was the only dill seed I have purchased in recent decades and it must have been 15 years ago, now.

The dill volunteers early then again, late in the season. The last time I was out and tilling a bed for winter, the late dill volunteers were still alive. The plants had gone thru a number of mornings with the lows well into the 20's.

Those plants may still be alive out there but the cold will kill them in time. The gardens are now covered with snow. I hope that this information is of a little help.

Steve

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”