organicgardenerswife

A great use for herbs - hair rinse - easy to make recipe!

Herbs have many uses, and I recently came across something I want to try. A leave-in hair rinse!

The purpose of a hair rinse is to return hair to its natural pH (acidity level) after shampooing.

To make a rinse that is tailored to your type of hair, select from the herbs below that fit your purpose.

Sage: Color enhancement for dark hair.

Chamomile: color enhancement for light hair.

Thyme: Dandruff control for all hair types.

Rosemary: Brightener for dull hair.

Directions:
Herbs are best used fresh, but can also be used dried. If fresh use a few handfuls of the herbs you choose. If dried, use a few tablespoonfuls.

You'll need 3 tablespoons of cider vinegar.

Place your herbs in a saucepan, and fill it with water. Bring it to boiling, remove from heat and allow to cool completely.

Strain into a mixing bowl, reserving only the liquid.

Find an empty, clean shampoo bottle, etc.

Place the 3 tablespoons cider vinegar in the empty shampoo bottle, then fill it the rest of the way with your herbal liquid. Shake well.

IMPORTANT! This hair rinse must be kept refrigerated to keep it from fermenting. To make it easier to use, fill a smaller bottle from the large bottle to keep in your shower for immediate use.

To use your herbal hair rinse:
First shampoo & rinse your hair as usual. Then saturate your hair completely with your herbal rinse, and towel dry, or air-dry your hair, WITHOUT removing the rinse. The faint vinegar odor will fade quickly.

Good luck, and enjoy your healthy, soft, smooth, great looking hair!
Ruth

soil
Greener Thumb

don't forget nettle, it makes an EXCELLENT hair cleaner. makes your hair so soft and smooth and strong.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

How do you handle the nettle without it stinging you? Does it still sting after it is dry? I am quite sensitive to them and will be in pain for hours if one even lightly touches my skin.

Runningtrails

What herb to keep hair red? I colour my hair red but it fades so quickly! Interesting rinse idea! I might try that. A little glycerine added will help keep dry hair soft and mangeable too. I use that now but would love to add something to keep it red!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a link to more such recipes:

https://www.easy-aromatherapy-recipes.com/natural-hair-dye.html

it suggests hibiscus and calendula for red hair.

Of course there's always henna, too!

A different site suggests:

1) Use strong black coffee as a final rinse

2) Make a strong decoction of rosehips, rinse through clean, damp hair. Leave for 15 minutes then wash out with clear water.

3) Make a strong infusion of red hibiscus, rinse through clean, damp hair. Leave for 15 minutes then wash out with clear water.

4) A strong Marigold infusion makes a rinse which brings out red and gold highlights in light brown and red hair. Also try saffron as another alternative.
https://www.herbology.com.au/herbal-potions-for-red-hair/

I've occasionally used commercial products to give an auburn tint to my brown and grey hair, I might try some of this! (But not the saffron -- using saffron would be more natural, but WAY more expensive than commercial stuff. )

soil
Greener Thumb

How do you handle the nettle without it stinging you? Does it still sting after it is dry? I am quite sensitive to them and will be in pain for hours if one even lightly touches my skin.
sorry I didn't see this a month ago. I wear gloves and long sleeve shirts when harvesting nettle. and a pair of snips helps too. the sting goes away when dried and cooked. the way I do the hair rinse is boil it in water, dilute it and pour it over your hair. with gloves there is really no way to get stung.

some people say the sting is actually a good thing for you.

Runningtrails

I know some people get stung on purpose for arthritis relief. Don't know if I'd go that far.

I have lots of hibiscus and rose but they all go into wine making! I don't know if I'd sacrifice some for hair. I'll have to think about that one. Henna is a good idea! Does it grow up here? Does anyone grow their own?

I have calendula too but it's far too precious as an herb, however, I have a lot of red and orange nasturtiums that I don't need for anything else. Maybe I'll try those. I might try all the red/orange things that I grow and see if I can find something to make a rinse that will keep my hair it's reddest naturally. Great idea! I'll have to look into what I have growing out there that's the right colour. Even weeds will do. I'm thinking maybe even curly dock or rhubarb. Let me see, it's a natural copper that I'm after-more orange.

A new project for next spring! (Like I need another one) :roll:

I am gong to research growing henna.

applestar
Mod

rainbowgardener wrote:
4) A strong Marigold infusion makes a rinse which brings out red and gold highlights in light brown and red hair. Also try saffron as another alternative.
https://www.herbology.com.au/herbal-potions-for-red-hair/

I've occasionally used commercial products to give an auburn tint to my brown and grey hair, I might try some of this! (But not the saffron -- using saffron would be more natural, but WAY more expensive than commercial stuff. )
This rang a bell. Could they be talking about saffron thistle and not the saffron crocus? of course considering it's Eurasian origin and noxious weed status in some areas, you may not be willing to grow it, rainbowgardener. :wink:

https://www.prcupcc.org/herbs/herbss/saffronthistle.htm

Runningtrails

You can make a paste out of herbs instead of a rinse. Dry herbs and grind, make a paste with conditioner. Apply to hair, cover with plastic then hat to keep heat in. Leave in many hours, all day or as long as possible.

After doing some research, I'm doing the henna thing :-) I have to use pure, body art quality henna because of my previous chemically treated hair, but I'm ok with that. (Maybe I'll get into body painting with henna too!) It's permanent, never fades. I'll only be doing the roots for years to come unless I want to do a rinse just to brighten it up some or renew the colour after too much sun or something. Easy enough to keep up and never needs to be coloured completely again! I'm thrilled!

This is a good thing as I have long hair and my goal is to grow it past my waist. Way too many boxes of chemical colour will be needed to keep it red when it gets that long!

Lots of info about this and other hair things at the online "Long Hair Community". It's a great resource for hair care stuff of all kinds.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”