butsiethesungo

Pesticides--Do you use them?

Fellow Gardeners,

I've recently noticed small holes on some of my parsley and basil leaves and was wondering if it was safe or not to spray my herbs with pesticides? Is there safe pesticides for herbs? -wall-

Butsie

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What is the problem with some small holes in the leaves? You expect everything to look perfect? That's not nature's way. When you come along to harvest your herbs, you can take up to a third of the leaves at a time and not harm the plant. Why should it harm it to have a few holes?

If you have a major infestation of something and your plants are being chewed to death, you may have to do something about that. I personally don't worry about the few holes. So no, I don't use any pesticides.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I never use pesticides. A few holes is no big deal and is quite normal in a garden. Only in severe cases you should take action. What I am doing now is practicing a lot of companion planting and also planting plants that provide nectar for beneficial insects that prey on the bad ones.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

The problem with spraying is that you have to have some idea who is making the holes. If it is something like grasshoppers or slugs then spraying would be a waste of time to begin with. Did you have this problem with the parsley all season or did it develop late. If late then something like grasshoppers, slugs etc are more likely then bugs. Personally, I have never sprayed an herb.

Runningtrails

I never spray anything. My worst pests are deer and racoons. :roll:

gardenscaper

Noooo, I never spray anything with pesticides. Bugs and insects are a natural, and necessary, ingredient in the growing and pollinating process. Plant a bit more for the bugs to munch on and if you need to control an infestation, try something a little more 'user' friendly: predator bugs, companion plantings, a jet spray of water, micro-organisms and healthy soil will all help to keep the insect population in check without toxins.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”