yonnielovesveggies
Cool Member

unhappy thyme

Hi folks

Is there ever a time when there's peace with all the plants and NONE of them are struggling with some type of undiagnosable illness?

My thyme is unhappy. Previously whenever it wilted looked dry, I'd water it, it would perk up, and all would be well again.

It's unhappy again. It looks dry. I watered it. It hasn't perked up and the soil is still damp the day after.

It's sitting in a south facing window. I've had it about a month and a half, never fed it with fertilizer. I've not repotted it. There are no roots protruding out the holes. There are no bugs around. When I water it, the water comes out the bottom almost immediately.

What should I do?

Thankyou for your time and generosity!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Thyme likes it hot and dry. I am thinking you are watering too much. It is tricky though. I have had plants show signs of needing a drink but then would later show signs of overwatering then it becomes a back and forth battle.

A thing I have learned to do is move the plant into a spot that will get some shade. This will allow it to recover better and not get blasted by the sun all at the same time. Stressed plants in hot direct sun can get stressed more.

I have lost a few plants like this. I lost thyme the same way. What size pot is it? And how many hours of direct sun is it getting?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Another point to consider is whether you used a rapidly draining potting mix for your thyme. Your plants are in containers, are they not? A properly draining mix will allow you to give your plants water when they need it, without keeping the soil overly wet. And Punk is right that a little shade may be helpful, especially during the early afternoon, when the sun is most intense. :)

yonnielovesveggies
Cool Member

Hi Punk Rotten

Thanks for responding. I have it in a pot about 3 inches wide and 4 inches tall.

I've read that thyme likes it dry so I deliberately leave it to wilt and dry before watering.

It's getting about 10 hours of sun a day, sitting in a south facing window.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

How big is the plant? That is probably too much sun. Maybe let it get some shade or partial shade for 1-2 hours.

yonnielovesveggies
Cool Member

ok. Thanks. I've moved it to a less sunny location.

Maybe I'm taking advice too literally. When care instructions say 'full sun', I try to give the plants full sun - all day long. It never crossed my mind that full sun would also mean - 'with occasional rest breaks in the shade'. Ahh.. the journey.

With gratitude.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I think about 8 hours is plenty for most plants. If the plant is small 8 hours could be too much right away. The shade will give it a break from the sun so that it doesn't get burned.

But you should still follow the full sun recommendations. After a few weeks try putting the plant back in full sun with no shade and see what happens. If it wilts again then go back to giving it shade. Most of my small or recently transplanted plants usually get burned/wilt in full sun. So I give them little amount of sun and gradually go up and see what they can handle until I can give them 6+ hours of sun.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”