PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Growing Yarrow from seed

Hi,

So I have a bunch of Yarrow seeds. I planted some in a few spots and it has been a few weeks now and nothing. So I started to read and found out they need stratification, and after that need light directly on the seeds to germinate.

Seems tricky to get these to sprout. Has anyone successfully sprouted Yarrow from seeds? Could you provide some instructions? Thanks

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

The problem is in the wild the seeds freeze in the winter, cracking open where they have fallen on the ground. When the sun shines in the spring they are exposed to light directly and sprout. (that is where they are native). Therefore you have to nick the seeds to simulate natural cracking and lay them on top of the soil, but it is likely too hot where you are now, it would be best to do it in very early spring or under grow lights.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I was reading That putting them in a damp napkin in a baggy, and then putting them into the fridge for a month would do the trick. Then you just plant lightly on the soil and do not cover.

lily51
Greener Thumb

I have started achillea (yarrow) several years from seed in my greenhouse, but not outside. These are not wild seeds, so I don't know if the same applies.
I started them this year March 10, but could have started them earlier for a larger plant here by summer, and will do so next year. They do bloom the first year like ttis, just not as much as they will in future.
I left the seeds uncoverd to get them to germinate. They only took 4 days to germinate and were transplanted in less than 2 weeks.

soil
Greener Thumb

throw some yarrow seeds where you want yarrow ( be generous) and come spring youll have seedlings and by summer youll have blooms. no need to till, prepare, cover or anything.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:throw some yarrow seeds where you want yarrow ( be generous) and come spring you'll have seedlings and by summer you'll have blooms. no need to till, prepare, cover or anything.
What Soil said is true here in the PNW. Pretty much a self sowing weed.

Here is some along my garden fence. Different stages.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20flowers/Yarrow006.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20flowers/Yarrow002.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20flowers/Yarrow003.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20flowers/Yarrow005.jpg[/img]

I usually just grab a Handful and throw the seed around. You could also rattle it along the fence like Applestar. :lol:

Eric

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am gonna try again. How hardy is the plant? If I started it now do you think it is a good idea? Is it a fast grower?

soil
Greener Thumb

ummm eric, that third one isnt yarrow. looks like carrot seed cluster to me.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Common yarrow is a drought tolerant species of which there are several different ornamental cultivars. Seeds require light for germination, so optimal germination occurs when planted no deeper than ¼ inch (~6 mm). Seeds also require a germination temperature of 18–24 ...°C (64–75 ...°F). Common yarrow responds best to soil that is poorly developed and well drained. The plant has a relatively short life, but may be prolonged by dividing the plant every other year, and planting 12 to 18 inches (30–46 cm) apart. Common yarrow is a weedy species and can become invasive.[4] It may suffer from mildew or root rot if not planted in well-drained soil.
The rest is here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achillea_millefolium

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Soil, I will have to look tomorrow. It maybe Queen Anne's Lace. We have fields of both here on the island.

Eric

yvonn3my
Newly Registered

I using this method, and it does really works
Try to soaking yarrow seeds for a couple days, I put water + seeds into ziplock bag
Wait until yarrow seeds start to sprouting ..... And grow some leaves
Carefully transplant yarrow sprout into soil

Runningtrails

Punkrotten, It grows very well here and all over so it should be fairly hardy. I have little seedlings of the red yearrow growing in the flowerbed in the fall and it survives just fine.

You could plant the seed naturally, sprinkle on bed outside in late summer/fall. My red reseeds itself very well in the flowerbed every year.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”