butsiethesungo

Thyme & Rosemary in styrofoam (coffee) cups!?!!

Fellow Gardeners,

First off, this is an awesome forum. I am learning so much about growing herbs from all the posts I've read. :lol: As a novice gardener, one thing is for certain: there are sooo many conditions that can affect the growth of plants, which leads me to the purpose of this post.

I've decided to start an experiment with growing rosemary and thyme in small styrofoam coffee cups (like we all did in kindergarden) in-doors before transplanting them outdoors. :) Right now, I have about 8 cups with rosemary and thyme set on a tv tray in a spare bedroom (lights off, with the vent closed). My questions are:

1. How often do I water thyme and rosemary in the seddling phase?

2. Do these plants require direct sunlight while in the styrofoam cups? Or can they sprout in the dark?

Thanks ,

Jeremy

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You might want to reconsider the use of styrofoam as containers for edible plants. There is some good information [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69190#69190]here[/url].
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I am not convinced about styrofoam being bad and use it all the time since all my boxes are styrofoam!Hot drinks are served in styrofoam cups all over the world so I just don't know what is right! I would put the foam cups in a container to hold like a dozen at a time and feed the water from the bottom with a small hole at the bottom of the cup!! If you are affraid of the foa put a small plastic bag in the cup then add dir but plastic is also supose to be bad!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The science is there for anyone who cares to study it. One way of looking at it, though, is that a cup of coffee spends much less time surrounded by the styrofoam than would a growing plant, so there is significantly less time for the coffee to be contaminated by the leachate.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Good point but I think that the excessive heat of coffee would cause more problems in a instant! The other point in your favor is that sun light may leech out the poisons or even the chemicals in the ferilizers! I guess there is poison everwhere and the plant can't talk!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

butsiethesungo

Kisal wrote:You might want to reconsider the use of styrofoam as containers for edible plants. There is some good information [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69190#69190]here[/url].
Kisal, thank you for sharing this information. I never thought about the dangers of growing edible plants in styrofoam until I read this post. Perhaps I should just chunk the containers and dirt?

Jeremy

butsiethesungo

Bobberman wrote:I am not convinced about styrofoam being bad and use it all the time since all my boxes are styrofoam!Hot drinks are served in styrofoam cups all over the world so I just don't know what is right! I would put the foam cups in a container to hold like a dozen at a time and feed the water from the bottom with a small hole at the bottom of the cup!! If you are affraid of the foa put a small plastic bag in the cup then add dir but plastic is also supose to be bad!
Hey bobberman, you make a good point. I drink coffee all the time from styrofoam cups. After reading this post, I thought about maybe transferring my dirt and seeds to a plastic container but now I'm not so sure :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The unfortunate (in some senses) thing about being poisoned by all the toxins around us, is that it is so silent. We don't feel anything while petrochemicals, pesticides and stuff are piling up in our bodies. And since there are so many toxins around us all the time, it's hard even for research to pinpoint causal connections, which one of these chemicals in the stew produced what result. But we know we are being exposed to more and more and more poisons and we know that despite remarkable advances in medicine, rates of cancer (not death rates, which do go down with new treatment option, but rates of new infection) keep going up and up and up. As do rates of learning disabilities, autism, and other subtle neurological problems.

We do KNOW that all of those things and a lot of others are a result of chemical exposures. So why do things to add to that, when it is easy to avoid? Some things are hard to avoid, but you don't have to put your plants in styrofoam.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I am not fighting for the foam or plastic industry but I drink plenty of filtered water in plastic water bottles! Should I listen to all the skeptics about plastic waer bottles or drink my reallly poison tap water! The soil is loaded withb all kinds of poisons asside from the styrofoams but the plant seems to be able to filter out most of the bad things! People could say a compost has all kinds of disease in it but it does not hurt ther crops! Mosiquito infested water is everywhere but the plants thrive on it! Rotten vegies are loaded with coli bu the plants thrive on it!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What was the topic?

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Most plants will srout in the dark but will not get gree till the light hits it. Take endive they grow it from the roots in the dark with no light and it gets a yellish color. you need light after it sprouts and make sure you get enough or it will grow talk weak and thin! And rosemary needs love like the song says!

butsiethesungo

DoubleDogFarm wrote:What was the topic?

Eric
:lol:

We did get off topic a bit, but the info. was still relevant. While I havent chunked my coffee cups with soil yet, I plan to. I visited Lowe's, Walmart, Home Depot, and another grocery store to locate a rosemary and thyme plant to no avail. What's the deal? Perhaps I will need to go to a private nursery....

J

DeborahL
Green Thumb

OK, off topic here too, but I've heard that plastic water bottles should never be kept in the car, and that the heat makes the chemicals leach worse.
Glass was recommended.
God must think highly of animals - He created them before creating us !

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

or stainless steel...
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I take a plastic bottle of water every day in my truck but its froze solid when I leave. I also put a ice cold one in a plastic bottle and put the bottle in a styrofoam cup and it stays cold till the frozn one melts. I usually drink both bottles before it warms!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”