amir.fa
Newly Registered

Increasing the mint's fragrance

Hi,
I'm new to herb gardening so I started with mint. I have relised that my mint stared loosing its fragrance. I've tried trimming it so it doesnt look over-grown. I as well added fertiliser. However the fragrancwe still remained weak as compared to the beginning.

Any tips to increase the mint fragrance?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My personal experience has taught me that a lean soil, meaning less fertilizer, tends to increase the concentration of the oils that give the herb its flavor. JMO, though. You might want to experiment with it. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Kisal's right herbs in general and definitely mint, do much better without fertilizer and with less water. With plenty of water and fertilizer, you will get big lush plants with little mint essence. To make it minty-er, you want to let it concentrate, no fertilizer, and probably a lot less water. For some herbs I would say let it dry out pretty thoroughly between waterings. For the mint perhaps the other way, instead of watering thoroughly and then let it dry, drip small amounts of water into it frequently, but never let it get wet or even completely dampened all the way through to the bottom (mint being shallow rooted anyway). You will get smaller plants that way, but much more fragrant.

amir.fa
Newly Registered

Than you very much. I'll try not to add fertliser and add more water. I always thought fertiliser would help, but as mentioned it does the contrary

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Probably less water, not more. Frequently but small amounts, keep it a little thirsty as well as hungry! :)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”