Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thyme Not Showing Fresh Growth

I have several thyme plants in different pots, different sun/shade. A couple of the older ones were getting straggly, as they do. I have done pruning, trying to get some fresh growth. Med success, and they may be history aka compost next spring! Several were going along, and was cutting for the farmers market. Then turned ugly and not doing well. We did have a few weeks of Hot which may have caused this. I don't even water daily, in fact if no rain usually just the day before picking. Some have just gotten woody, some showing new green but sluggish.

A fellow stopped at my booth today at the market, and seemed to know something about the various herbs. He suggested epsom salts. I just thanked him! He had also heard to plant thyme in cinder blocks and the plants take in some extra calcium. This is an interesting and do-able idea, just don't know if beneficial.

Any ideas here!?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, just a thought or 2, Susan.

Epsom salt is just magnesium and sulfur. My understanding is that some soils, perhaps those on the acid side, may be depleted in magnesium.

Chlorophyll has the usual plant elements: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen and a very tiny bit of magnesium. Without magnesium, no chlorophyll in plant leaves. But, I think that it is commonly available in most soils.

The same is true with calcium. Neither of these elements may be in your soil is sufficient amounts. It would be best to talk to Cooperative Extension about that. I don't think that either amount to anything magical unless they are just not there without addition.

I find that thyme grows well in my soil. It does not seem to like very hot weather, however.

Steve

lily51
Greener Thumb

Thyme in all scents is a favorite. One plant by the steps to the garden has to be about 2.5 feet across! It seems to do well in various herb and flower gardens, but not as well when in a container.
Don't really know about the Epsom salts for thyme, but do know it provides Mg.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I am thinking the thyme going South is weather related. Yesterday at a market a fellow was talking about his herbs. I mentioned I didn't even have any thyme on the table as the plants were not good. He said his were pitiful also, and other things doing fine.

I do have to remember to put markers in the various pots so I know what and when to look for things come spring. Frost isn't for 2 months, but need to start thinking about this!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”