PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Texas Tarragon

Hi,

I got a few stems of this plant and gonna plant it tomorrow. Is it anything like french tarragon? What kind of conditions does it like to grow in? Any advice about pruning and caring for the plant? Thanks

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Hi,

What zone are you in? Yeah that is the Tarragon I have. All I got is like 4 stems with roots. it is not doing so well. One of the stems seems to still be alive but the others are droopy and dried. I brought the plant in and made a little stake and tie for it to keep it up straight. Hopefully it will bounce back.

I ay just buy whole plant or get seeds. I hear the regular French Tarragon wilts badly in heat. So being in southern California is Texas/Mexican mint Tarragon my best bet? Up to what zone is it hardy to?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

thanks for the info

PreserveFlowers
Newly Registered

I found a little info for you on the Texas Tarragon.

In warm climates its anise-like flavor makes it a substitute for French tarragon, which often withers in heat.

Plant it in an herb garden, flower bed, or container. Let Texas tarragon be the bright spot in your herb garden, which often needs a boost by summer’s end. The upright plants pair well with other fall bloomers such as pineapple sage. Plants bloom lightly in the spring, then profusely in the fall atop erect, 2-foot stems.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you are going to post quotes, it is appropriate to attribute the source.

The source of yours is:

https://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-mexican-tarragon/

PunkRotten is still around and posting so probably will see your info, but this was a thread from last summer.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”