PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Lavendar and Rosemary

Hello,

I got a hold of a rosemary and lavender plant. I have an area in mind but wanted to get some opinions on whether it is suitable for the plants.

Instead of growing these in or around my main garden I was thinking of planting them in my front yard area along the edge of the walkway to my front door.

This area gets about 3 hours tops of direct sun in the morning. From like 9am -noon it gets sun, then after that for maybe an hour or 2 in gets partial or indirect sun. My soil is hard and clay, but I will till it and add some garden soil.

Do you think I have a chance at growing these plants? Would they be ok in these conditions?

I read that one of the biggest problems is the drainage and making sure the roots do not get waterlogged. So I plan to water light to make sure I don't get this problem.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well rosemary or lavender neither one likes hard clay soil. They both like sandy, very free draining soil. So maybe mix in a bunch of the potting soil meant for cactus before you plant them.

It's borderline enough sun. The lavender should make it there, though probably a little stunted from the size it could have been. I have some lavender growing in spots that are way too shady for it, and it survives, just doesn't get very big (but I'm talking hardly any hours of direct sun).

I've only grown rosemary in containers, since it doesn't survive my winters, so I'm not as sure about it, except that it would also prefer a bit more sun. Probably like the lavender would survive where you are talking about.

But in general along the front walkway is a nice place for them. In your climate they make good hedges and people would be greeted by the wonderful fragrance.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah and the walkway I plan on planting them at is empty. There use to be these small flowers growing there but they all died. I could really plant thse in pots, but I feel along the edge of my walkway would be a great spot. But is it good for the plant is what has me concerned. I probably am going to make a visit to a gardening center today and get some soil. So cactus mix would be better than regular garden soil?

applestar
Mod

It would help if you can raise the bed a little. I planted lavender in my clay soil after forking the clay base then mixing up top soil, sand, and smallest marble chip gravel in equal parts on top. Rosemary is in a less sun location than lavender (I would give it the sunnier position) on a sandy loam slope -- I.e. Good drainage.

I believe they both prefer soil that s neutral to alkaline.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think your success with the lavender might vary, depending on the variety. My yard is poor-draining, heavy clay soil and quite acidic (rhododendrons and blueberries grow well for me) and I have about 40 lavender shrubs which are thriving with no special treatment. I believe mine are "English lavender", which I think is probably Lavandula angustifolia. It may be that there are more fragrant varieties of lavender, but I think mine is lovely, nonetheless. :)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have an English Lavender too, I think the variety is "munstead". I have some Sage now too, would this grow good with lavender and rosemary?

Would these grow better in pots or in ground? I may just do the lavender in front along the edges and do the other plants elsewhere. But I still have not figured out an alternate location.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well I planted the rosemary and sage in my backyard in an area where they will get plenty of sun. I used the soil for cactus to plant them. I decided to plant the lavender in my front yard along the edges of my walkway to my door. But I am finding out that area gets maybe 2 hour of direct sun a day.

I know this is cutting it really short, but do you think it has a chance?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

All I can say is trial and error.
I am an expert on both.

froggy

I had a lavender in similar circumstances - clay soil and only a couple hours of morning sun (it was on the NE side of the house) - it did ok, but hardly grew in size over 10 years....

Your location actually sounds brighter than where I had that one...
And you can always move them if they don't do well...

smaxey843
Cool Member

Susan W wrote:All I can say is trial and error.
I am an expert on both.

hahahahhaa !!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”