Susan W
Greener Thumb

Basil babies

I had a pack of 12 pretty basil from seed starts in the peat pellet thingie. Looking pretty, 4 real leaves. I tucked a couple in existing containers (pulled out non-performers). Put a few in 4" pots with my new magic potting blend (see organic gardening), and put a few in 10" planters. I have 2 in the 10" pots. At this time in season, these will be coming in come Sept-Oct, and I need the smaller pots.

Just sharing my dirt-on my hands and nails with folks who understand.

smaxey843
Cool Member

oh wow! that sounds exciting. how many seeds per spot did you do? I just got done planting a whole slew of stuff I need to document before I go to sleep. but yay!! babies!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

As for seed starting basil, I used the peat pellets in the tray (box store thing). I put several seeds in each pellet. This time of year being rather warm, set it outside under an eave with bright light, not sun. They sprouted in a couple of days. Not a week later, thinned to 1 or 2 per pellet. By now getting some sun, but not leaving out in rain (there is no drainedge on the trays) Then with 4 real leaves moved them up. When moving up can sometimes divide the pellet to 2 plants. Just depends.

What is taking a few days outside in warm and real light took weeks and months for me last winter!

smaxey843
Cool Member

susan is there any way you have pictures for this process? man I'm interested in doing this!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”