Susan W
Greener Thumb

Chives

My chives are not happy, and I could use suggestions. There are several clumps of chives in various pots and in the ground. They are in mostly sun, average watering, average soil. The pots are next to ones with garlic chives, and they are finally kicking in.

Could I be cutting them too much? Perhaps if I gave them a break of a couple of weeks? I try to limit the cutting now, but may be taking too much. I have a hunch Kitty is not letting the ones in the ground have a fair chance.

Suggestions welcome!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

If the pots are crowded and have been in the pots for a couple of years, you need to divide them preferably in the spring. Chives really need to be divided every 3-4 years to do well. I divided mine this spring and they are really loving it now. As to cutting them, I cut mine all the way down to the ground and then let them grow up again. Since I have many groupings (around apple trees to discourage pests) I always have a stand to cut down. After about 3 years they tend to thicken up and not be really thin anymore, that reminds me to divide them. Yes, animals can cause problems, so it could be the cat as well.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks Charlie for suggestion. I should have mentioned some divided this spring, and some new. So, no overcrowding issues.
I figure if I can limp out this season, I should have chives bounty next spring!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I may need to do the midnight watch! I was doing the AM check, night dress and coffee in hand. There was a fat caterpillar in one chives pot. I figured it was too fat and sassy to leave when the sun came up! It got a nice throw over the deck.
I have some in pots, some in ground. I am going to try the beer watering hole (slugs) especially for ground ones. I checked the diamatatous (sp?!) earth at the garden center. Nice sized bag @ $14. I'll try that if the beer spa fails.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”