maus

herbs and sun

Where I live I do not get direct sunlight will my herbs still grow in a shaded porch the herbs I am growing are catnip, peppermint and basil

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mint will grow anywhere, it doesn't care, so will do fine. The catnip is in the mint family and probably will be ok. Basil likes sun. I grow some on my deck where it gets only a bit more than half day sun and it does ok, the purple basil better than the green, which really wants more sun. But basil won't make it in all day shade. Find a sunny spot, even if it is just for a container. A basil plant will grow fine in a 10 -12" container.

maus

well where I live there are a lot of trees so the only sunny spots we have are in the parking lot which kinda sucks when living on the first floor of a condo and it isnt sunny in one spot all day. so I guess my basil is going to die then because I don't get enough sunlight here

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, if all you have is shade then focus on growing things that like (or at least tolerate) shade. You will just frustrate yourself trying to grow sun lovers in shady spots.

maus

The direction that my building is facing is South and I live on the first floor so is there any possiblity to keep them alive?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

well, south facing sounds good, but you said "shaded porch" and "no direct sunlight." If those things are true, you basil is not likely to do much. Maybe it will limp along, leggy and with few leaves or maybe it will just die.

Still seems like better to grow something that likes those conditions, rather than torturing your basil.

You could always put a grow light on it...

maus

actually I saw the sun hit it this afternoon so I have no idea what its going to do

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Basil will stall out as stated with shade, filtered light.

Put it in your car. :lol: :wink: Don't laugh I have actually done this during cold snaps but only for a day or two.

You could also be the anarchist gardener and find a spot somewhere on the property where most people won't mess with it but gets sun and plant there. I myself would do something like this.

Good luck, fresh basil is the bomb.

maus

its mostly the chipmunks and small animals I'm worried about

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Put some white or reflective material near the plant area and you will be surprised at the results!

maus

How will that help

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

When planting in shady areas a little extra reflective light makes a big difference, even some white perlite on the surface will reflect light to the plant!

maus

So what do I need

maus

If I put them in the lawn how to keep chipmunks and squirrels out of them

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

You can paint the sides of the raised bed or box white or with white lime. Shredded white paper on the ground below the plants. a silver surface facing south aimed at the plant area! This is for shaded areas but will also work great in the garden for peppers and other light loving plants!

maus

To keep chipmunks out of my basil any ideas if I put them in the middle of the lawn and my plants live in plastic pots

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Have you ever seen the chipmunks bother the basil? One of the nice things about growing herbs is that pests (of the four legged or six legged varieties) usually don't like them. I don't have chipmunks in my yard, but I have lots of squirrels, plus raccoons, groundhogs, etc and none of them have the least interest in the basil, which is all over the yard.

maus

I moved them out on the yard and when should I start taking leaves off my plants are still only like 4 inches or so tall

maus

Oh except that I'm growing catnip so once and while ill see cats

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah.. cats. I don't grow catnip because of that. I started some from seed one time and put it out as a big healthy plant. The cats just rolled it to death. They didn't chew it. At first it would spring back after awhile after being rolled on, but eventually they just loved it to death.

If your basil is 4" tall and healthy, leafy not leggy, then pinch off the top pair of leaves. That will cause the stem to branch in two at that point. Let it grow some more and then keep taking top leaves like that. It will make your plant bushier and leafier.

maus

Pinch off the top leaves only? I'm new to basil so I have no idea how to grow it . Do you mean the pair that appear in the middle

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No when I say top, I don't mean middle! :) I mean the very top pair, even if they are tiny (and only if your plant already has at least 3 pair of leaves).

Here's a little more about it:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196574#196574

When you cut the top pair of leaves off with the growing tip, the plant will branch at that point. You aren't worrying about harvesting yet, you are encouraging your plant to get bushier, so you will have lots more to harvest later.

maus

So remove the leaves that are new growth or the ones that are developing two leaves? That kind of confused me. I don't expect them to get super huge and here is a picture of them

[img]https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x352/mausNstuff/261204_10150696949215265_527640264_19073777_1225432_n.jpg[/img]

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”