Aya

Saving seeds from parsley and cilantro?

So my parsley and cilantro have pretty much bolted I think. They have a couple of towering stalks that are a lot thicker than the rest of the herb along with tiny tiny leaves. And just over the past week I've noticed a super heavy infestation of what I believe to be aphids, although a majority of them are tannish-brown instead of green. I also have a couple of tiny brownish worms that have taken up residence. Both plants put out a good crop and its been my one successful endeavor growing something from seed in my first garden.
Question is, how do I save seeds from these plants? Is it difficult?

Moley
Cool Member

my cilantro bolted about 2 weeks ago, I am just waiting for the seeds to finish forming, and I'll pluck them, and replant in early august.

Have never seen parsley bolt.

soil
Greener Thumb

first off spray the plants with the hose and wash those aphids off. you may need to repeat a few times.

as for the seeds let the cilantro grow and continue on, it will flower, set seed and start to dry. this is you time to chop it at the base. and stick the seed end in a bag loosely. when fully dry you can crush the bag and all the seeds will fall to the bottom. same goes for the parsley except you don't have to cut the whole plant, just the stalks.

Aya

Thanks! So I just have to leave it be for awhile then? Until it starts to dry out and form noticeable pods?

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”