erinduke

Where are basil seeds

I feel stupid asking this, but I keep seeing people planting basil from seeds from their current plant. Where are the seeds and how do I do that?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well first you have to have a flower spike. Something like this

[url=https://www.123rf.com/photo_7857522_green-basil-plants-with-little-white-flowers-selective-focus-on-few-flowers.html]basil flowers[/url]

In general, if people are growing basil for the basil (leaves), we suggest not letting it flower like that. But you have to leave some flower spikes to get seeds.

Then if you just leave it alone until the little flower drops off, eventually there will be a little black seed in the pod where each flower was.

I found last year when I was trying to grow some for seeds, that the flower spikes just kept getting longer and longer and longer and as long as it was growing, it wasn't making seeds. So after a flower spike got to be a good size (like 4 - 6" long), I just clipped the top off it. That did seem to focus the plant's mind on making seed and speed up the process a bit, since it was taking forever. I was concerned about frost coming and killing the plant before it made seed, since I didn't start letting them flower until later in the season.

Once the flowers have dropped off and the seeds are produced (you will be able to see them a little bit if you look closely), cut the spike off and dry it in the sun. Once dry you can rub them in a strainer and the seeds will come out. I grew my green basil this year from last year's seeds.

erinduke

I see! I always cut the buds when they grow since the plant yellows quiet a bit when the buds are everywhere.

Can I save the seeds for a period of time? LIke if I harvested them before the weather gets cold could I hold them until the next spring?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, but if you always cut the buds, you will never have seeds, since the seeds form from where the flowers were.

It is a trade off. It's why I wait until later in the season to start letting them flower. Once the plant puts its energy into producing flowers/seeds, it stops putting much energy into new growth.

Yes if you save seeds this season, just put them in a paper envelope (stays drier than plastic which collects condensation) and put them in the refrigerator or freezer. Plant them next spring.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

PS you can compromise a bit, by cutting most of the flower spikes off and just leaving a few. That will give you plenty of seeds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oops... duplicate post

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”