PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Basil not growing well

Hi,

I just can't seem to get the basil to grow well. I have tried 3 plants, 2 are Nuphar var. and the other is sweet basil. Nuphar is in the ground while the other is in a pot. What usually happens is the plant starts out healthy then after a little while the leaves droop and start to look pale or slightly yellowish. I try not to overwater cause I killed a basil plant already like this. For the one in the pot I move it around. Sometimes I put it in full sun, other times I put it in partial shade.

They seem to be drooping, changing colors, and some leaves getting burnt. That is about all they are doing. Could someone tell me the proper amount of watering them as well? I think sometimes my initial problem starts with overwatering. I am so afraid of over watering so I try to give them lots of sun, then that seems to make matters worse. Thx

darlened
Newly Registered

How hot it is in Southern California, right now? I am wondering about the temperatures. My basil is growing like crazy from seed and from a plant. One friend who miracle grows it, has a basil bush, it is so big.

I do not water my basil at all. My seeds were planted in a box outside and the plant was put in a pot. They are only watered by mother nature. Now Ohio has had unprecedented rain but other years when we have not, I have not watered it. I just let the rain get it and it was fine.

Could it be a combination of overwatering and/or your temperatures being high right now? Ohio summers in June only average mid 70 degrees. Mine spend a lot of time in the shade also because my house and trees around it provide a lot of shade. Just a few thoughts.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Temps are around the 80s right now. I stopped watering and the plants look like they are doing a little better. But they get a little burned. So it is a balancing act to not over water and not let them get burned. Right now I put one of the Basil plants kinda under a tomato plant to provide a little shade so I think it helps. I am just going to cut down on the watering. In the beginning I was watering way too much.

I guess I was under the impression Basil liked a lot of water. I planted a bunch of seeds now and got sprouts so I will have more plants to play around with. One plant is in a pot so I can move it around to full sun or partial shade etc. I am learning now with most plants to allow a period of letting them dry out.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”