Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My New Herb Garden

This is what I planted. Sweet Basil, Lemon Basil, Cilantro, Parsley.

Basil for Pesto. Cilantro for Mexican foods.

Cilantro is bolting in 99 degree temperature so I planted more Cilantro seeds they should be coming up soon. I will keep planting new seeds every few weeks all summer to have a good supply of Cilantro.

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/100_1319.jpg[/img]

GardenofJasmine
Newly Registered

Looking good :D

It's been dry where I live, along with 90+ degree temps. Having to baby everything!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I wanted to try cilantro but didn't think it was worth the effort. How long does it take get a useable size head of cilantro? I usually use a whole head at once.

applestar
Mod

Do the cilantro come up in the heat? I let mine self seed from the spring crop and they eventually come up for fall crop after the summer heat breaks. My spring crop are starting to bolt now, and I was thinking of wet freezing the harvest. I didn't think to do that last year and missed them when I wanted to make salsa.

I love the herb garden design by the way. You are inspiring me to refurbish mine. 8)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:I wanted to try cilantro but didn't think it was worth the effort. How long does it take get a useable size head of cilantro? I usually use a whole head at once.
It only takes a month to get Cilantro that can be eaten. Every year I always let 1 or 2 plants go to seed. I cut the branches and put them in a 5 gallon bucket to collect most of the seeds. I do the same thing with Basil. This gives me several 1000 seeds to plant. I sprinkle several seeds on the ground and poke them in the soil with a pencil that has not been sharpened yet. Water them every day and they will be up in 1 week in this hot weather. In another 3 weeks the plants are starting to get pretty large so I pick the plants one by one for mexican food. Then I sprinkle about 20 more seeds around the existing Cilantro plants and poke them in the soil with a pencil and in a few weeks I have more Cilantro ready to eat. I leave a few plants unpicked so they can go to seed in the fall. If I plant 30 seeds around each of those 10 plants I have a lot of Cilantro to eat. Anything I don't eat gets dried and put in the spice rack.

I potted several plants this year using soil from my herb garden. It is funny I have Cilantro and Basil coming up in all the potted plants.

lily51
Greener Thumb

I love herb gardens. Yours looks good, in design and healthy plants.
Basils are a must!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
PunkRotten wrote:I wanted to try cilantro but didn't think it was worth the effort. How long does it take get a useable size head of cilantro? I usually use a whole head at once.
It only takes a month to get Cilantro that can be eaten. Every year I always let 1 or 2 plants go to seed. I cut the branches and put them in a 5 gallon bucket to collect most of the seeds. I do the same thing with Basil. This gives me several 1000 seeds to plant. I sprinkle several seeds on the ground and poke them in the soil with a pencil that has not been sharpened yet. Water them every day and they will be up in 1 week in this hot weather. In another 3 weeks the plants are starting to get pretty large so I pick the plants one by one for mexican food. Then I sprinkle about 20 more seeds around the existing Cilantro plants and poke them in the soil with a pencil and in a few weeks I have more Cilantro ready to eat. I leave a few plants unpicked so they can go to seed in the fall. If I plant 30 seeds around each of those 10 plants I have a lot of Cilantro to eat. Anything I don't eat gets dried and put in the spice rack.

I potted several plants this year using soil from my herb garden. It is funny I have Cilantro and Basil coming up in all the potted plants.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good production. I will try this next season.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”