Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My New Herb Garden

This is what I planted. Sweet Basil, Lemon Basil, Cilantro, Parsley.

Basil for Pesto. Cilantro for Mexican foods.

Cilantro is bolting in 99 degree temperature so I planted more Cilantro seeds they should be coming up soon. I will keep planting new seeds every few weeks all summer to have a good supply of Cilantro.

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/100_1319.jpg[/img]

GardenofJasmine
Newly Registered

Looking good :D

It's been dry where I live, along with 90+ degree temps. Having to baby everything!
The daisy follows soft the sun, and when his golden walk is done, sits shly at his feet. He, waking, finds the flower near. "Wherefore, marauder, art thou here? Because, sir, love is sweet!"

www.bigcountryphotographics.com

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I wanted to try cilantro but didn't think it was worth the effort. How long does it take get a useable size head of cilantro? I usually use a whole head at once.

applestar
Mod

Do the cilantro come up in the heat? I let mine self seed from the spring crop and they eventually come up for fall crop after the summer heat breaks. My spring crop are starting to bolt now, and I was thinking of wet freezing the harvest. I didn't think to do that last year and missed them when I wanted to make salsa.

I love the herb garden design by the way. You are inspiring me to refurbish mine. 8)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:I wanted to try cilantro but didn't think it was worth the effort. How long does it take get a useable size head of cilantro? I usually use a whole head at once.
It only takes a month to get Cilantro that can be eaten. Every year I always let 1 or 2 plants go to seed. I cut the branches and put them in a 5 gallon bucket to collect most of the seeds. I do the same thing with Basil. This gives me several 1000 seeds to plant. I sprinkle several seeds on the ground and poke them in the soil with a pencil that has not been sharpened yet. Water them every day and they will be up in 1 week in this hot weather. In another 3 weeks the plants are starting to get pretty large so I pick the plants one by one for mexican food. Then I sprinkle about 20 more seeds around the existing Cilantro plants and poke them in the soil with a pencil and in a few weeks I have more Cilantro ready to eat. I leave a few plants unpicked so they can go to seed in the fall. If I plant 30 seeds around each of those 10 plants I have a lot of Cilantro to eat. Anything I don't eat gets dried and put in the spice rack.

I potted several plants this year using soil from my herb garden. It is funny I have Cilantro and Basil coming up in all the potted plants.

lily51
Greener Thumb

I love herb gardens. Yours looks good, in design and healthy plants.
Basils are a must!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
PunkRotten wrote:I wanted to try cilantro but didn't think it was worth the effort. How long does it take get a useable size head of cilantro? I usually use a whole head at once.
It only takes a month to get Cilantro that can be eaten. Every year I always let 1 or 2 plants go to seed. I cut the branches and put them in a 5 gallon bucket to collect most of the seeds. I do the same thing with Basil. This gives me several 1000 seeds to plant. I sprinkle several seeds on the ground and poke them in the soil with a pencil that has not been sharpened yet. Water them every day and they will be up in 1 week in this hot weather. In another 3 weeks the plants are starting to get pretty large so I pick the plants one by one for mexican food. Then I sprinkle about 20 more seeds around the existing Cilantro plants and poke them in the soil with a pencil and in a few weeks I have more Cilantro ready to eat. I leave a few plants unpicked so they can go to seed in the fall. If I plant 30 seeds around each of those 10 plants I have a lot of Cilantro to eat. Anything I don't eat gets dried and put in the spice rack.

I potted several plants this year using soil from my herb garden. It is funny I have Cilantro and Basil coming up in all the potted plants.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good production. I will try this next season.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”