Ginger_Gnome

Sage & Tarragon... I have no clue how to use them

Hey Gardeners,

I finally put my Sage & Tarragon in the ground. It took me a little longer than I would have like but it's in there now. Now that it's in the ground and doing really well, a funny thing came to me today while I was weeding... I don't even know what they are used for! I don't know how to use it, how to prep it... I literally don't even know why I'm growing it...but I guess it's to learn how to use it right!? I have lovely Basil that I'm growing as well as some of you know. I made a lasagna about two weeks ago and tried to use some of my own Basil. I used it but it was still kinda "wet" after I "dried" it for two days.
Questions:
1- How do you dry out your herbs/spices to be able to use them in a dish/recipe?
2- What's the procedure for drying? How many days?
3- What are Sage & Tarragon used for?
4- If you (I) don't eat that much meat 20% can you use these herbs in other ways?
5- When do I know when to pick the plant to use in a dish?

I have Basil coming out of my ears (I had to give some away) and don't know what to use it in...can I can this or preserve it somehow? I have a dehydrator, should I use that? We also have Ball containers that we bought so we can store these herbs.

I'm just really confused and don't know what to do with these awesome herbs I have growing in my front yard!

Thank you in advance for ANY suggestions and help.

As always, you G's rock! nutz:

soil
Greener Thumb

both herbs have many uses, just google some things and you will have more than you need.

as for what I have done with the tarragon recently, I made tarragon infused vinegar for salads and such. expensive at the store, far better homemade.

https://www.ehow.com/how_5593155_make-tarragon-vinegar.html

Yogas
Cool Member

Basil - you didn't need to dry the basil to use it. You can use all herbs "fresh" and not dried. Fresh are more flavorful. In a recipe, two parts fresh equal 1 part dried.

You can make pesto with all your basil, put it salads and even freeze it to use in recipes. It will turn black frozen but still tastes good.

To dry herbs for use in the winter, basil usually takes about 2 weeks hanging upside down to dry then store in your glass containers. Put the leaves whole in the jars. Crush it right before using it.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”