Susan W
Greener Thumb

Anise Hyssop

With the raves from some of you, I got some seeds for anise-hyssop (Agastache). Have about 7 plants in various places. One in a pot that had a difficult start, getting back now slowly. 2 in another pot, doing OK. 2 in ground by birdbath, which mean they get more doses of watering as I try to hit the bird bath daily. Then 2 in another area doing fine. All part shade.

The leaves have the distinct aroma and flavor. When time to harvest do you wait for sprigs? pick leaves only? The in ground ones showing growth around each leaf. Perhaps if I pinched the top would spread out more?

Do you brew it as a tea? Do you pair it with anything for the teas?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Oh boy, good stuff, Susan!

I like to harvest just as the flower buds begin to show but the leaves are fine by themselves, up until that point. I don't know your environment but I don't want to inhibit the plant too much in growing large and developing. So, I use last year's dry herb until a later harvest. Generally, I have lots of seedling volunteers to work with. Not this year however . . . :roll:

I do, however, think you are correct that any pinching should result in a bushier plant. You may even get away with that pinching, at the base of the plant.

Reseeding has been the way I get new plants each year. The first year I had anise hyssop, it was in a flower bed between roses. Oh my, did those plants self-sow! There were hundreds the following spring. That was about 8 or 10 years ago and the anise hyssop has been relegated to the veggie garden since then. Usually, they don't show up in huge numbers out there because the garden is tilled in the spring. I do get a dozen plants or more and move them around where they can grow.

This year, there are only 4, I think. For the 1st time in a long time, the "Tractor Guy" did not till my large veggie garden this year. That was me out there behind the Briggs & Stratton. I will probably have to rethink my growing techniques (or, lack of them) if this is going to be a result.

To my tastes, mixed about 1 : 1 with lemon verbena is the very best!

I hope you enjoy your plants.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a thread where I posted some herbal tea recipes and tea herbs I like to grow:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128195&highlight=herbal+tea+recipes#128195

There's an absolutely wonderful spiced anise tea made with 4 parts anise hyssop to 1 part each of cloves, cinnamon, and vanilla bean. So fragrant and flavorful, it makes your mouth water just to smell it.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for hints on growing and using!
In checking them all again, or is that again......noticed the 2 furthest along in growth setting out side 'branches' without any help from me. One could near sit there and watch them grow.

The plan is to harvest for the farmers market, along with brewing my teas, and let some branches go into flower.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely let some flower, bees and butterflies like it!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”