Ginger_Gnome

Lavender Plants Not Growing

I started growing Lavender about two and a half months ago in a Burpee tray. As I started transferring them I noticed they weren't growing so I decided to let them grow and kept them in there. I was transferring other herbs and plants a little later (weeks) and noticed again, nothing from the Lavender. I transferred the Lavender into a bigger pot. In the picture, this pot is filled with a whole packet of Lavender.
What is going on here? I have watered it. I read not to water it too much, so I backed off of an every day water to a every other day water.
Not sure, thinking I might just scratch the Lavender for this year??
[img]https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r48/luvhairz/My%20Garden/May24201128.jpg[/img][/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would give it more time. I started lavender from seed several years ago, and I remember it took months.

Lavender from seed isn't easy. When it finally did sprout, I only got 1 plant from an entire packet of seed. Don't give up on it, though. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But don't over water it! Daily watering will kill lavender fast. Every other day still sounds like a lot once the lavender is well sprouted. Personally I would give up on it for this year. I have started lavender from seed several times and by now it would be a lot bigger than that. But it is very slow growing. If it isn't a good size now, it won't be big enough by fall to make it through the winter. When I start mine from seed, by fall it's about 6" tall. The second year it gets to be a decent sized plant.

soil
Greener Thumb

from the looks of your soil, that is why they didnt grow.

next time start lavender in a much much more sandy soil. they love sandy soils. also don't water that much, and if you do. bottom watering works well.

Ginger_Gnome

Very helpful. Thank you everyone. I will try again next year with less watering and better soil/sand.

soil
Greener Thumb

I would certainly try again. there is more than enough time in the year to get some more going and a pack of seeds is only a few dollars.

froggy

Lavender does take FOREVER.
I remember one year, I put it out in the garden, kept watching, waiting, and as nothing happened, I threw beetroot seeds over it.
That fall, when harvesting the beetroot, there were tiny 2" lavender plants inbetween them.

I'd just plop the pot outside somewhere and 'forget' about it - that's been a winning strategy with lavender for me :)

Mind, I sprouted some on cotton balls this winter, they started after a week or so, but kept sprouting more as time went by, I then transplanted them to soil, one by one, before the root was 1/4 inch long (they do tend to tangle).
those grew quite happily and are now about 4-5" tall, except for the ones I killed not watering during our move, or overwatering to compensate :P

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

:lol:, froggy!

That one time I started lavender seeds, I tossed a packet of Japanese Black Pine seeds in the container, when I decided I wasn't going to get any lavender. When the lavender seedling finally popped up, I thought it was a little pine tree. LMFAO

Ginger_Gnome

I have to say, I DID totally give up on it... all but throwing it out. Today, I went out to water my other potted plants and took a look at it, just to see (now it's been about 4-5 days since I watered it last) and whatdoya know...it's getting bigger!! I guess I won't be watering it for a few more days to see what happens. Just when you think it's not going to happen, poof there it goes a growin'!! Thanks for everyone's Help!!! You all rock big time!

lily51
Greener Thumb

It also depends on the type of lavender. Some are very difficult to grow from seeds, others are a bit easier. I tried the "true" lavender a couple years ago..germination rate was poor, growing was as poor. True lavender is propagated on a large scale by cuttings because of this.

I did grow lady lavendula last year from seed. It did well, and even came back this year. It also will flower the first year. Until next year, you can always get an established plant at a greenhouse so you can enjoy it this summer.

froggy

Kisal wrote:When the lavender seedling finally popped up, I thought it was a little pine tree. LMFAO
:lol: Let's hope the pines weren't insulted :P

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”