Ginger_Gnome

Rosemary???

I have been growing some veggies, peppers and herbs. I have a full row of beautiful Basil. I am going to transplant a few other herbs tomorrow. I have a couple of plants that are Rosemary, as they are growing bigger I don't think it is actually Rosemary, I think it's Basil. I am posting this without a picture at first ( I have to go through the photobucket process, I keep forgetting). Just off the top of your heads, does Rosemary start out looking like Basil? I will be back shortly with a picture. Thank you Ginger

Ginger_Gnome

Okay, sorry. My computer is extremely slow and it takes forever to upload one pic to photobucket.

I potted this with the intention it was Rosemary. I'm thinking it is Basil.
Anyone know what it is??

[img][img]https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r48/luvhairz/My%20Garden/May24201127.jpg[/img]

Thank you. :D [/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It looks like basil to me. Definitely not rosemary, anyway. :?

Ginger_Gnome

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just needed a back-up....now where did my husband plant those Rosemary seeds?? :()

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Ginger_Gnome wrote:Yeah, that's what I thought. I just needed a back-up....now where did my husband plant those Rosemary seeds?? :()
Just look for a plant that appears to be like a short needle pine tree type plant. Rosemary grows long spindly branches with very small needle-like leaves that are usually no more than 3/4" or so long.

Ginger_Gnome

hmmmm. I don't seem to have anything that looks like that!? And there are no seeds left in the packet. Maybe they just didn't grow...like my lavender!

Thank you

Rogue11

In my opinion Rosemary is much easier to grow from clippings than from seeds. I tried from seeds once and it was a slow and frustrating process.
Same goes for Lavender I believe. The easiest way is to use a cutting from a mother plant.
Last edited by Rogue11 on Wed May 25, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Ginger_Gnome wrote:hmmmm. I don't seem to have anything that looks like that!? And there are no seeds left in the packet. Maybe they just didn't grow...like my lavender!

Thank you
I have a huge plant in my garden now, but if I didn't, getting one would be as easy as heading to the local supermarket's produce section. Several of the markets here sell herb plants in small pots for around $3 each and offer Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Parsley, Chives and Cilantro.

greenstubbs

There's a rosemary plant [really a bush] growing at work. This thing is huge! Don't know if it's 1 plant or several, but it will grow and could be planted as a hedge row as the ones at work are about 4 feet tall. Mine is just a puny one thats about 2 feet which is fine as I don't use alot of it.

saluqi
Newly Registered

Some years ago I planted at the edge of my yard (in south-central California) a small rosemary plant - I suppose it was a foot or so tall, in I suppose a 6 inch pot, bought from a local nursery. Sold as "Tuscan blue" but who knows? Apart from occasional watering (to support the Bermuda-grass lawn) I didn't do much to help it. Clipped off the occasional tip to use in the kitchen.

Well, now it is about 6 feet tall and 10 feet or so across. The main stems are nearly an inch thick. It flowers copiously each year. Any one branch (of hundreds) would supply my kitchen with a year's worth of rosemary needles, if I wanted to dry them. I prefer it fresh off the bush. An inch or two of those lush branch tips is enough for almost any purpose (unless I were entertaining lots of folks, which I don't do very often). Lately some of my dogs have taken to using it as a bed, so many of the large branches are now broken down to the ground and more or less denuded. I suppose I will have to "trim" it - which I dread doing, for fear of unwittingly damaging its hitherto vigorous growth. There's apparently an art to pruning rosemary - cut only into leafy wood, it won't re-grow from bare branches. Maybe I'll have to fence the dogs out (good luck, Salukis can clear 8 foot fences with ease).

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”