DeborahL
Green Thumb

Peppermint

It's hard to find peppermint anymore, it's always chocolate mint. I can tell the difference. My neighbor gave me a big sprig of peppermint with roots attached ! It's doing well and I'm thrilled to have it again !

speedster7926

I can only find sweet mint and peppermint I have only been able to find 1 pineapple mint but no chocolate or apple mint:( I want them all lol

Barefoot Herbalist

speedster7926 wrote:I can only find sweet mint and peppermint I have only been able to find 1 pineapple mint but no chocolate or apple mint:( I want them all lol
You must be a mint fan like me ;) I actually have applemint in fact if you go to my blog below and search for herb garden you can see how big mine is...not bragging or anything ;) If you would like some I have plenty to share, I would need you to pay shipping costs, but thats all :)

speedster7926

wow your mint is huge lol would it grow good here I'm in zone 8?

Barefoot Herbalist

speedster7926 wrote:wow your mint is huge lol would it grow good here I'm in zone 8?
I don't see why not, just make sure you water it often...especially if it's dry in your area. Mint is a pretty determined little plant ;) just let me know if you'd like some :D

speedster7926

well I just discovered something I googled mentha spicata and it took me to Wikipedia and I found out there are like 20 dif types of mint and that pineapple mint is a variegated type of apple mint. it told me that if they are just green leaves than I have apple mint but if they have white on them then they are variegated (pineapple mint) is this true or what

Barefoot Herbalist

speedster7926 wrote:well I just discovered something I googled mentha spicata and it took me to Wikipedia and I found out there are like 20 dif types of mint and that pineapple mint is a variegated type of apple mint. it told me that if they are just green leaves than I have apple mint but if they have white on them then they are variegated (pineapple mint) is this true or what
Yep, it's true, I have both kinds...but to me the applemint is a lot stronger in scent than pineapple mint and it's flavor is a lot stronger too. Actually I have a wide variety of mints, to name a few: orange mint, indian mint, spearmint, peppermint, pineapple mint, etc the list goes on...LOL!! :D Can you tell I love mint?

P.S. - Actually I have found out through experience that anything that is variegated is a lot lighter in scent and flavor than it's "parent" plant ;) thus the stronger flavor in the applemint ;)

speedster7926

is there any way I can make it strictly apple mint instead of pineapple

Barefoot Herbalist

speedster7926 wrote:is there any way I can make it strictly apple mint instead of pineapple
hmmm...I have never heard of "un-variegating" something. I mentioned it to my Dad and looked it up on the internet and we couldn't come up with anything :( sorry.

speedster7926

hmmm oh well ty though I just realized that I now have 2 pineapple mint plants cause the sprig I buried started rooting so I wonder if I cut it and re-pot it and constantly keep cutting the variegated parts it might stay apple lol oh well the experiments begin I love this lol

Barefoot Herbalist

speedster7926 wrote:hmmm oh well ty though I just realized that I now have 2 pineapple mint plants cause the sprig I buried started rooting so I wonder if I cut it and re-pot it and constantly keep cutting the variegated parts it might stay apple lol oh well the experiments begin I love this lol
LOL...yes it's so fun to experiment ;) HAVE FUN!!!

speedster7926

yes it is def fun to experiment and ty for all the help now I can finally go out and experiment lol been sick :( still sick but better than b4 lol the garden is calling me lol

Barefoot Herbalist

speedster7926 wrote:yes it is def fun to experiment and ty for all the help now I can finally go out and experiment lol been sick :( still sick but better than b4 lol the garden is calling me lol
yea, I've had a cold this past week (still do) and the garden is getting so overgrown with weeds...and I HAVE TO GET IT WEEDED, and SOON!
HAVE FUN!!! :D

speedster7926

thankfully I have been lucky w/ weeds but I went out and picked the produce and squished the bugs and watered and then almost passed out from being tired "still not fully recovered yet" but enjoyed the short time out there lol hope you fell better gl

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”