209toots

What did I do wrong with this basil? look at picture

Did I over water this basil? At one point it was beautiful. Looked so great. I watered it and alot of water came out of the bottom.It was very brown water. The soil is drenched so I placed it under a light overnight with a towel under the pot hoping to draw out some of the water. It still looks the same. What could I have done wrong. when you open the page click again on the basil for a larger view. Hope someone can help. https://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m574/209toots/

Rogue11

Are you growing this basil inside or outside? Looks like it might not get enough light, the stems seem a little leggy.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... how many plants is that!? Way too crowded. You need to separate those out into a bunch of pots.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I think you could just pull and harvest some of the taller plants and be done with them.

Probably, some of the smaller ones could be carefully transplanted into their own pots and they should be able to grow for you. The container looks like it is about right for about 3 plants. That's all.

Steve

209toots

Didnt consider the overcrowding . Hard to imagine one plant can become thick. Today I will set out to repot the stronger of the bunch, eat the rest, and hope for the best. thanks for the tips.

SP8
Green Thumb

209toots wrote:Didnt consider the overcrowding . Hard to imagine one plant can become thick. Today I will set out to repot the stronger of the bunch, eat the rest, and hope for the best. thanks for the tips.
Nah crowding was never a problem with my Basil: https://veggie-might-sp8.blogspot.com/search/label/BASIL How many plants do you think are in that last picture of mine?

209toots

That is one amazing pot of basil. I think maybe I just overwater then? last week they were beautiful and so healthy looking. Just after soaking them and seeing all the brown water they took a dive. I hope by just setting them out and not watering until the soil drys a bit they will perk back up. By they way Veggie-Might has a great blogspot on many different vegetable and herb trials. I really enjoy them. Thank you.

soil
Greener Thumb

we plant our basil real close too, looks like lack of good light to me.

Barefoot Herbalist

Basil doesn't mind being a little crowded, but it loves sunlight (at least 6-8 hrs) give it sunlight and it will give you tons of it's sweet smelling leaves!!!!

I LOVE BASIL!!!!

209toots

Thank you guys. I have great hope this batch of basil will survive. Its in outside to recieve a dose of good sunshine. Happens to be a windy day today so I hope that dosnt further upset them.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If it's been indoors all its life so far, don't leave it in the sun too long (20 minutes or so will be plenty). If you have outdoor dappled shade, even better. The shadiest day outdoors will be much brighter than the brightest indoor setting.

Check the forum for the phrase "hardening off" of seedlings before they live outdoors for more specifics.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

lily51
Greener Thumb

you might want to divide this large clump into 4-6 smaller clumps and re-pot. When you do so, plant a little deeper to help with the legginiess, then you can also pinch back the top couple leaves.

Growing in small clumps is fine for basil, and they will do okay either inside or if you plant them outside.

Looks like it needs more sunlight, but if your weather has been like ours, that's not so easy to come by.

SP8
Green Thumb

209toots wrote:That is one amazing pot of basil. I think maybe I just overwater then? last week they were beautiful and so healthy looking. Just after soaking them and seeing all the brown water they took a dive. I hope by just setting them out and not watering until the soil drys a bit they will perk back up. By they way Veggie-Might has a great blogspot on many different vegetable and herb trials. I really enjoy them. Thank you.
THANKS! :oops:
I really miss my little patch! :cry:

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”