Aya

Container Gardening: Which herbs can I grow together?

Well its been almost 3 weeks and none of my herbs (besides basil) have germinated. I'm thinking I need to start over. Since my gardening space is pretty small - I think I might put my herbs in containers. My question is, which herbs can I grow together in the same container? Are they all okay together or do I need separate containers?

Here's the herbs I'm looking at growing:

Basil
Cilantro
Thyme
Oregano
Catnip
Tarragon
Parsley
Rosemary
Chives
Lavender

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Rosemary tends to grow tall and bushy, at least in my garden. Under it I have Oregano planted and they work well together and I think in a big enough pot, they should be fine.

I see you want Catnip. Plant that separate since any feral cats or even your own, if you have one, will want to have a play date in the pot.

Again, if you have a large enough pot, put some parsley in the center and chives along the outer edges. I have some chives in a raised bed and they stay pretty confined to where they are, same with parsley.

Basil is another herb that gets tall for me. My plants generally get to be 3 ft. or taller and bush out to about a 3 ft. width. Again, most of my herbs are in the ground with the exception of some Parsley I have in pots so I can keep it shaded in our summer heat.

Mint will take over any area you plant it so I'd keep it in its own pot.

Aya

I figured I would plant the Lavender separately as well - more than likely in my raised beds.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”