applestar
Mod

Re: tea herbs

I seem to be coming down with something and have been coughing — so now I’m drinking summer-harvested and dried peppermint/applemint tea with a splash of elderberry liqueur and a glug of blackberry syrup. Yum! ;)

applestar
Mod

I took inspiration from one of my favorite turmeric teas and made a version of my own — fresh ginger and turmeric peels, fresh orange tree leaves, dried orange peel, fennel seeds, black pepper corns.

After steeping what I thought was about right, I took a sip and was astonished to find it tasted sweet, even though I didn’t put any sweetener in... I enjoyed several more sips, then got distracted. When I remembered to take another sip, I had to take out the large tea ball I had used in a hurry — I was greeted with a developing bitterness. I think this is coming from the finely minced citrus leaf, though it has also turned somewhat peppery as well. Next time, I will remember to remove the tea ball as soon as taste quality is perfect.

I think I need to grow anise hyssop for the licorice flavor.... hmm, I wonder would holy basil or blue spice add a similar flavor? I have those — I guess I will try them, too.

I’ve tried different commercial turmeric and ginger teas, but this one is my favorite:

https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/4022
Organic Ginger Turmeric Herbal Tea

...we received information from the supplier that was so entertaining we felt compelled to share it with you. In answer to the question, “What does ginger turmeric tea taste like?” they replied, “It tastes like you are lying in a meadow full of yellow daisies on a hot day, while you sip ginger ale.” While we pride ourselves on vivid descriptions of our products, we just don’t think we could have said it better.
[…]
INGREDIENTS: ORGANIC GINGER ROOT, ORGANIC TURMERIC, ORGANIC LICORICE, ORGANIC ORANGE PEEL, ORGANIC ORANGE OIL, ORGANIC BLACK PEPPER.

applestar
Mod

I thought I might share the way I “organize” my teas — these are actually mostly different packaged teas. Herbal teas are in the top right pocket ... Japanese teas are in the bottom left pocket ... and so on. Narrow pockets hold canisters of loose-leaf teas. (I’m not sure if I want to reveal how I’m storing/organizing my harvested and dried garden herbs/herbal teas.....)

This is a canvas pocket wall organizer that my DD’s used to use for their Barbie and Madeleine dolls and the dolls’ clothes/accessories until their “collection” got too big. When I couldn’t fit all my teas on the pantry shelves anymore, I decided to hang this on the wall next to the pantry door.... No it won’t even fit inside the pantry. :>

...I do have my “dream” idea for storing them — those tiny apothecary drawers ... I think I’ve always wanted them ever since I fell in love with Pippi Longstocking stories. :D

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Wow, AppleStar!

You may remember that I had a good harvest of ginger out of big pots in the greenhouse. I was wondering what to do with all those fresh roots. Then ... I caught a cold ... with a lingering cough ...

I used all the fresh ginger and bought several boxes of ginger tea :wink: . (A favorite was one which touted itself as ginger with mint but it had a number of ingredients and tasted like licorice :). (The fresh was best for my throat, however.)

Between the Camellia sinensis teas and the ginger teas, my little corner of the cabinet is getting crowded :).

Steve

Raymeow
Newly Registered

I'm addicted to a tea from currant's leaves with a bunch of mint. If you have a ginger, then it's even better. Melissa is fine too

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”