moonsharvest
Newly Registered

Outdoor Basil

I have sandy (dirt) soil. I added some potting soil and unfortunately it gave me bug, but thats besides the point. (I think you have to let your store bought soil dry out for 2 weeks before you use it..investigating that) (and lady bugs), my plant has been in the ground for 4-5 weeks, started from plant not seed. I am somewhat new at this. (purple basil) it looked good for the first 3 weeks obviously getting weaker as time went by. now it looks like a swaying corpse. only one stem left :cry: ...it gets morning sun, but it hasnt been hot enough yet to be scorched I don't think, partially shaded in afternoon. appreciate any tips

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Except for the soil conditions, your plant sounds like it is in similar growing conditions as mine. I get sun all day up till about 4 p.m. when the house starts to shade it. My soil is clay based but has been amended heavily over the years with compost and other material. I doubt it's hot enough to make your plant wilt since mine grows in full sun and does well up till the weather really gets cold.

You didn't mention watering. I don't let the soil get very dry and tend to deep water at least once a week if it doesn't rain.

Have you checked the plant for aphids or other pests? Aphids are small but obvious if you look close enough.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Don't give up! I would suggest getting some new plant starts and put in containers. I put in up to 3 basil in a 10" container. For dirt I use a cheaper top soil for much of it, then mix some Miracle Grow Potting soil in the top 1/2. Put container up on something, raise a bit off ground/deck, no saucer so it drains. With a container can move to best sun/shade place and regulate watering more than in ground.

By next season you'll have several containers and get the jist of it with a mess of basil in ground. Don't say we didn't warn you!

moonsharvest
Newly Registered

I saw someone mentioned a screen. and that is one of the only plants that does not have bugs....damn bugs! I am treating though..thanks for replies. will update

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”